Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dushan Mitrovich" <anti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
If I understood the sequence correctly, the command 'make oldconfig' con-
figures an as-yet-uncompiled kernel to the old, existing configuration,
including all the original options. Only when I do 'make menuconfig' do
I get a chance to drop old, unwanted options and add new ones. Is my
picture wrong?

It's very close. The extra source of confusion is that lots of folks go
and get brand new kernels and use the .config from their existing, older
source tree. This can cause format changes in the .config file, and old
modules that have been discarded will wind up deleted from the rebuild
.config file, and new modules that may never have existed before will be
listed, if not disabled by default or by other settings, in the new
.config file.

It's a handy way to get a starting place for what drivers your current
kernel has available and to avoid accidentally leaving out something
vital, like network drivers or SCSI controller drivers that you need to
actually boot with.

Thanks for the explanation, Nico.

I've taken a long look at the kernel-2.6.spec file, and must admit to
being little the wiser. I guess I'm not knowledgeable enough with the
instructions there to understand what all they're doing. It did occur to
me that maybe if I 'prepped' the kernel source anew, I could regenerate
the missing files that keep tripping me up.

But in my optimism, instead of dling 'kernel-2.6.9-22.0.1.EL.src.rpm',
I got a later release: 'kernel-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL.src.rpm' (thinking I might
as well update). Should I just try it, using Lenard's suggested

rpmbuild -bp --target $(uname -m) kernel-2.6.spec

and see if it works? Or am I asking for trouble here?

One thing I did try, maybe unwisely, to get around the missing file
'Documentation/DocBook/Makefile' message I get from 'make mrproper', is
to use
'make -k mrproper'

which barges ahead even after an error is encountered. It completed, and
then I did 'make oldconfig', then 'make xconfig', and made the needed
mods. But, to no great surprise, 'make rpm' failed because of errors.

This repeated failure is what made me wonder about re-prepping the source.

One more, unrelated, question: I have an external USR 33.6 modem that
works fine from OS/2, but linux can't seem to find it. From what I've
read, my (faint) impression is that modem support is already available as
a module. I've looked on the I'net for a linux driver for it, but could
not find anything. Any thoughts?

- Dushan

.