Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

anti@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dushan Mitrovich) writes:

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dushan Mitrovich" <anti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, I'm using Scientific Linux 4.2, which came on 4 CDs. It is
RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several
other national labs, and is supposed to be stable. And so far it's been
_very_ stable: haven't managed to modify it at all. But I have already
found some bugs in it (in particular, system-config-display doesn't work
correctly, and the supplied video drivers are very flaky -- details if

video drivers have nothing to do with the kernel. Those are under X.
What is system-config-display?

you want them) that I've managed to get around. To say that I'm not en-
amoured with this distro would be a major understatement. The Scientific
Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the
distro they hadn't touched. I had sent a description of the problems and
solutions to RedHat, and never got any response back.

You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version.
Might as well send Redhat problems with Mandrake, since Mandrake branched
off from Redhat 5 years ago.

What about simply deleting, flushing the remnants of, and re-installing
kernel-devel or kernel-source for your distribution?

Yes, at this point that's what I think will have to be done.

Why?

One thing I did try, maybe unwisely, to get around the missing file
'Documentation/DocBook/Makefile' message I get from 'make mrproper', is
to use
'make -k mrproper'

Nahh, it's understandable. I'm afraid that "make mrproper" and various
interruptions and problems you've run into have left things in a confused
state.

which barges ahead even after an error is encountered. It completed, and
then I did 'make oldconfig', then 'make xconfig', and made the needed
mods. But, to no great surprise, 'make rpm' failed because of errors.

Hold. In "make xconfig", what changed? What is the difference between
your old .config and your new .config?

What I changed in .config was to make the HPFS filesystem a module, and
disable 3 or 4 modules that are of no use to me (e.g., cell-phone connec-
tivity, the Amiga filesystem, and such). Anything I was unsure of, I
left alone. But as far as I can tell, things never went any further than
the .config file getting changed - everything else bombed.

This repeated failure is what made me wonder about re-prepping the source.

One more, unrelated, question: I have an external USR 33.6 modem that
works fine from OS/2, but linux can't seem to find it. From what I've

Find it? What is to find. It is connected to a serial port. You just send
stuff to that serial port.
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

read, my (faint) impression is that modem support is already available as
a module. I've looked on the I'net for a linux driver for it, but could
not find anything. Any thoughts?

?? an external modem does NOT need a module.

You may need to play with "setserial". What does Kermit say when you
try to connect to /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, /dev/ttyS2 or /dev/ttyS3?
Do the serial devices show up in your /var/log/messages or in the output
of "dmesg"?

Don't know yet; I'll have to go back into linux and see, then report back.

Recently I figured out how to switch from the Gnome desktop, which was
not at all to my taste, to KDE 3.3. For me this was a big improvement,
giving me control and options that I couldn't find in Gnome (tho they're
probably there if you know how and where to look).

Redhat for some reason likes Gnome. Mandriva likes KDE.

Here's another head-scratcher I ran into: I have an IDE DVD/CD recorder,
which Linux sees and mounts/unmounts jst fine. I also have a SCSI CD-ROM
that I have no idea how to get recognized. Linux sees the SCSI adapter
okay, but how do I find the CD drive attached to it?

/dev/scd0 probably.

- Dushan

  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... asked to work with an MV system over any distro except RedHat. ... And the only Linux distro mentioned on the QM download page is RedHat: ... hardware to test my clients' MondoRescue DVD's. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?
    ... When I purchased Redhat 7.3 they sent me an email 2 weeks after I ... installer screen was offset on all of them. ... expect more from a "commercial" Linux distribution. ... I hope one day a Linux distro is actually that, ...
    (Fedora)