Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

"Unruh" <unruh-spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
anti@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Dushan Mitrovich) writes:

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dushan Mitrovich" <anti@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Actually, I'm using Scientific Linux 4.2, which came on 4 CDs. It is
RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several
other national labs, and is supposed to be stable. And so far it's been
_very_ stable: haven't managed to modify it at all. But I have already
found some bugs in it (in particular, system-config-display doesn't work
correctly, and the supplied video drivers are very flaky -- details if

video drivers have nothing to do with the kernel. Those are under X.
What is system-config-display?

[ etc. ]

Unruh, you're being disingenuous here. First, he was referring to the
Scientific Linux distribution 4.2 in this case, not the kernel. Second,
you'd better believe that video drivers have something to do with the
kernel! You have to actually get the commands to the AGP or PCI card, and
those are kernel level operations, as much as other parts of the operation
occur in userland with the graphics drivers.

And system-config-display is RedHat's X display configuration tool. It's
actually pretty good.

you want them) that I've managed to get around. To say that I'm not en-
amoured with this distro would be a major understatement. The Scientific
Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the
distro they hadn't touched. I had sent a description of the problems and
solutions to RedHat, and never got any response back.

You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version.
Might as well send Redhat problems with Mandrake, since Mandrake branched
off from Redhat 5 years ago.

They may have actually noticed the problem, but RedHat sells support for
RHEL these days: you'd need to buy that support to expect to get it.

What about simply deleting, flushing the remnants of, and re-installing
kernel-devel or kernel-source for your distribution?

Yes, at this point that's what I think will have to be done.

Why?

Read the thread. He's having weird compilation errors, possibly due to
remnants of previously failed compilations and interrupted operations.

This repeated failure is what made me wonder about re-prepping the
source.

One more, unrelated, question: I have an external USR 33.6 modem that
works fine from OS/2, but linux can't seem to find it. From what I've

Find it? What is to find. It is connected to a serial port. You just send
stuff to that serial port.
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Which is just the sort of thing he was looking for, in particular:

http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html#Modem

read, my (faint) impression is that modem support is already available
as
a module. I've looked on the I'net for a linux driver for it, but
could
not find anything. Any thoughts?

?? an external modem does NOT need a module.

True. The guy's a newbie, be nice!

External modems are amazingly useful when you want to watch the blinking
lights and see what's happening on modem calls: I find them very useful for
debugging.

Redhat for some reason likes Gnome. Mandriva likes KDE.

There are some... interesting licensing issues with Gnome vs. KDE.

Here's another head-scratcher I ran into: I have an IDE DVD/CD recorder,
which Linux sees and mounts/unmounts jst fine. I also have a SCSI CD-ROM
that I have no idea how to get recognized. Linux sees the SCSI adapter
okay, but how do I find the CD drive attached to it?

/dev/scd0 probably.

Only if he's got the ide-scsi module in place already: and using that module
has seriously lost its charm since the 2.6 kernel came out with better
support for directly writing to IDE based CD-RW drives, and cdrecord was
patched to support it.

  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: RedHat 10 wishlist
    ... What would be nice is to have different installation schemes....I would like ... I really enjoy RedHat as it is a wonderful tool to use to help people break ... Linux that is easily sold to IT Managers who don't belong as IT Managers! ... > I strongly urge RedHat to reconsider the methods required to manage kernel ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: supported kernel versions by gcc 3.3.3
    ... But actually iam looking for all (RedHat linux versions) and their specific ... The executables we give are compiled with gcc 2.96 (for RedHat). ... Customers may use different Redhat linux versions and with different kernel ...
    (RedHat)