Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

Unruh <unruh-spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dushan Mitrovich writes:
Actually, I'm using Scientific Linux 4.2, which came on 4 CDs. It is
RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several
other national labs, and is supposed to be stable. And so far it's been
_very_ stable: haven't managed to modify it at all. But I have already
found some bugs in it (in particular, system-config-display doesn't work
correctly, and the supplied video drivers are very flaky -- details if

video drivers have nothing to do with the kernel. Those are under X.
What is system-config-display?

It records the parameters relating to keyboard, mouse, video adapter and
monitor.

you want them) that I've managed to get around. To say that I'm not en-
amoured with this distro would be a major understatement. The Scientific
Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the
distro they hadn't touched. I had sent a description of the problems and
solutions to RedHat, and never got any response back.

You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version.
Might as well send Redhat problems with Mandrake, since Mandrake branched
off from Redhat 5 years ago.

But according to the people at Fermilab responsible for SL, that part has
_not_ been rewritten. My description sent to them was intended as helpful
feedback.

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
What about simply deleting, flushing the remnants of, and re-installing
kernel-devel or kernel-source for your distribution?

Yes, at this point that's what I think will have to be done.

Why?

I don't know what else to do, everything else having failed.

<snip>

One more, unrelated, question: I have an external USR 33.6 modem that
works fine from OS/2, but linux can't seem to find it. From what I've

Find it? What is to find. It is connected to a serial port. You just
send stuff to that serial port.
www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

Oh. Thanks for the reference.

read, my (faint) impression is that modem support is already available
as a module. I've looked on the I'net for a linux driver for it, but
could not find anything. Any thoughts?

?? an external modem does NOT need a module.

Good, now I know.

<snip>

Here's another head-scratcher I ran into: I have an IDE DVD/CD recorder,
which Linux sees and mounts/unmounts jst fine. I also have a SCSI CD-ROM
that I have no idea how to get recognized. Linux sees the SCSI adapter
okay, but how do I find the CD drive attached to it?

/dev/scd0 probably.

I'll try that; thanks.

- Dushan

  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel
    ... RHEL 4.2 specialized for scientific apps by Fermilab, CERN, and several ... Linux managers at Fermilab say my earlier problems were in parts of the ... You would hardly expect RedHat to do something about a rewritten version. ... You recompile your kernel only if you have narrowed down the error to the ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... people who "support" Linux really only install stock distros. ... Debian is simply not drama queen. ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... U2, RedHat and SuSE: ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: OpenQM vs. Everything Else
    ... Linux or that of people like Martin, Doug, or other "engineer" types ... asked to work with an MV system over any distro except RedHat. ... And the only Linux distro mentioned on the QM download page is RedHat: ... hardware to test my clients' MondoRescue DVD's. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: RH rips again Was: extend EOL for Red Hat Linux 9?
    ... When I purchased Redhat 7.3 they sent me an email 2 weeks after I ... installer screen was offset on all of them. ... expect more from a "commercial" Linux distribution. ... I hope one day a Linux distro is actually that, ...
    (Fedora)