Re: difficulty recompiling RHEL 4.2 kernel

"Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Repeating the "make oldconfig" may reset some time stamps and force you
to rebuild from scratch, I'm not sure right now, I'd have to look. It's
not eveil, the "make oldconfig" step is very fast.

If "make" commands complete with status 0, then they worked. This should
be evident at the end of your log files that you're recording.

At this point, you should also be able to do "make rpm", which would be a
very good test that everything is straightened out.

I did a 'make rpm' and got the following error messages:

----------------------------------
RPM build errors:
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ unset DISPLAY
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ rm -rf kernel-2.6.922.0.1.EL
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/kernels/kernel-2.6.922.0.1.EL.tar.gz
+ tar -xf -
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd kernel-2.6.922.0.1.EL
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .
++ /usr/bin/id -u
+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'
+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .
+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,u+w,g-w,o-w .
+ exit 0
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD
+ cd kernel-2.6.922.0.1.EL
+ LANG=C
+ export LANG
+ unset DISPLAY
+ make clean
+ make
/bin/sh: arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by `init/built-in.o'. Stop.
make[2]: *** [init] Error 2
make[1]: *** [rpm] Error 1
make: *** [rpm] Error 2
----------------------------------

This the same problem I'd run into before, so I guess everything is not yet
straightened out. But I'll be getting my new hard disk tomorrow, and after
installing it and re-installing the SL 4.2 package, I'll be in position to
try all this afresh. Will let you know next week how things are progres-
sing.

- Dushan

  • Re: JTA package?
    ... and then rebuild the rpm. ... export LANG ... unset DISPLAY ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: umask problem with yum/rpm?
    ... In FC8, the yum is bug (due to d/l the rpm packages from other FC, NOT ... Root's umask is set to 077, so files created by root are by default only ...
    (Fedora)
  • umask problem with yum/rpm?
    ... or is this a bug in either yum or rpm (on Fedora ... Root's umask is set to 077, so files created by root are by default only ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 2.6.2-mjb1
    ... The first thing I notice is that "make rpm" didn't work, ... unset DISPLAY ... Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.33180 ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: 2.6.8.1-mm1
    ... Building target platforms: x86_64 ... umask 022 ... RPM build errors: ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)