Re: 100% / and swap usage

Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

LinuxOS wrote:
Hi,

My Linux machine is getting out of disk usage, following is the df
command output. Kindly give suggestions on this.

[root@localhost ~]# df -h
/dev/sda2 15G 14G 0 100% /
/dev/sda1 190M 8.6M 172M 5% /boot
none 252M 0 252M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3 1012M 1012M 0 100% /swap
/dev/sda5 487M 11M 451M 3% /tmp

Regards

Something must be wrong. It is really unlikely that the root file system

Look at his disk. His root is the whole file system. /tmp/and /boot don't
take up room.
He has both a memory leak (using up swap) and a memory used up.

Go to /var/ and make yourself some room. Then as he suggests do
du -s /*
and look to see where the memory is being used.

should use 15G of space. Here is mine -- at least the mounted stuff. I have
a lot of disk space (6 hard drives), so some of these partitions are
unusually large. On mine, there is no /swap file; it is 4 separate
partitions, one on each of 4 drives. This turns out to be unnecessary for me
because I have so much RAM that swap seems never to be used.

$ df -h
/dev/hda3 2.0G 339M 1.6G 18% /
/dev/hda11 16G 2.0G 14G 13% /boinc
/dev/hda1 373M 12M 342M 4% /boot
/dev/hda10 950M 91M 850M 10% /dataA
/dev/hdb1 3.8G 13M 3.8G 1% /dataB
/dev/sda3 7.3G 2.4G 4.5G 35% /home
/dev/hdb2 19G 1.6G 17G 9% /homeB
/dev/hda8 4.0G 999M 2.8G 27% /opt
/dev/hda6 7.9G 36M 7.5G 1% /tmp
/dev/hda2 9.9G 3.0G 6.5G 32% /usr
/dev/hda9 2.5G 287M 2.1G 12% /usr/local
/dev/hda7 4.0G 455M 3.3G 12% /usr/src
/dev/hda5 7.9G 2.2G 5.4G 29% /var
none 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev/shm

Yee gads you have separate /usr, /usr/local, /home. He does not. If you add
yours up you get 7 GB used. (2.2G in /var? That is nuts!)

Do you run your system 24/7? If not perhaps your logrotate and tmpwatch
programs do not get run and they are full of stuff. You might wish to run

du / | sort -nr | less and see what is gobbling up all that space. On my
machine, it would show:

17439855 /
4042028 /proc
3737576 /usr
2463928 /home
2444228 /home/jdbeyer
2228616 /var
2077444 /var/local
2077300 /var/local/downloaded
1995376 /boinc
1978500 /boinc/projects
1564544 /usr/lib
1564220 /homeB
1564200 /homeB/jdbeyer
1539668 /var/local/downloaded/IBM
1326696 /boinc/projects/climateprediction.net
1167784 /homeB/jdbeyer/stocks
1167780 /homeB/jdbeyer/stocks/DATA
1118196 /home/jdbeyer/mp3
1043940 /usr/share
990128 /opt
908968 /usr/lib/openoffice

Note that /proc is not an issue.

^^-^^ 16:10:01 up 7 days, 22:48, 3 users, load average: 4.17, 4.20, 4.21

  • Re: mdconfig unable to allocate memory
    ... > one ensure that all the memory is being used for suitable file caching ... > disk, really; I assumed that it would immediately start dumping ... > anything I put in it, into swap, causing disk access. ... file system with 4GB of RAM without a problem, ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • OT/drift: when is a RAMdisk an appropriate solution
    ... include the "ram disk" component in your project. ... Sometimes, a physical RAM ... only to wind up going directly to regular old ordinary memory, ... testing the file system software. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: [opensuse] why /var/run and /run these two directories have absolutely the same contents?
    ... tmpfs on /run type tmpfs ... I don't think /var/run is occupying hard disk space just like /run. ... One Upon a time someone wrote a file system driver for the V7 PFDPD-11, ... In that context, pre networking pre FFS, memory maxing ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Memory mapped File System
    ... I'm daily generating a DB in 2 formats sqlite and h2 that arrives to ... isn't a problem so I'm guessing that the disk is the bottle neck. ... Something like Memory Mapped Files (if I understood the ... File System if the all process is faster. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: remote install of 6.2
    ... he builds the file system using the 4.xx fdisk and disklabel (before ... a way to fdisk and bsdlabel using a 6.xx system if at all possible. ... memory that includes the essentials such as fdisk, ... running on another disk, and he wants to put the 6.xx system on a second ...
    (freebsd-questions)