Re: Problems trying to configure Linux laptop to print to Windows XP shared printer

"d" <kevindu28@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm at my wits end trying to get my Linux laptop (FC5) to print to a HP
printer which is being shared over the LAN from a Windows XP Home
desktop.

Instead of sharing the printer the Windows way, you might try
configuring Windows to share the printer the Unix way. Then you can
just tell cups there's a regular printer there. There are detailed
instructions for the Windows part at

http://iharder.sourceforge.net/macosx/winmacprinter/

When you get to "Step 5: Print Center on Mac OS X", just use cups to
configure the Linux machine instead. There's almost nothing to do,
because you're just pretending it's a Unix printer at this point.

I print to an HP printer attached to a Windows XP Home machine from my
Linux machine (as well as from my Mac OS X machine) this way and it
seems to work well.

I hope this helps,

Tim
.