Re: Problems trying to configure Linux laptop to print to Windows XP shared printer

"d" <kevindu28@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm at my wits end trying to get my Linux laptop (FC5) to print to a HP
printer which is being shared over the LAN from a Windows XP Home

Instead of sharing the printer the Windows way, you might try
configuring Windows to share the printer the Unix way. Then you can
just tell cups there's a regular printer there. There are detailed
instructions for the Windows part at

When you get to "Step 5: Print Center on Mac OS X", just use cups to
configure the Linux machine instead. There's almost nothing to do,
because you're just pretending it's a Unix printer at this point.

I print to an HP printer attached to a Windows XP Home machine from my
Linux machine (as well as from my Mac OS X machine) this way and it
seems to work well.

I hope this helps,

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Initial experiences moving to Mac
    ... 2Ghz Intel Core Duo processor a few weeks ago. ... Mac platform is to replace both my Linux boxes ... and my Windows boxes (for music and occasionally other stuff Linux ...
  • Re: Just plain fucked...
    ... DeskJet F2100 (Windows, Mac OS X) ... DeskJet F2400 (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) ... ScanJet 2100c ...
  • Re: The Palladium (NGSCB) rollout has begun!!!
    ... >>willing to make the phones with Windows CE. ... Can you imagine a WindowsCE based cellphone? ... In most ways Linux ... Look at Mac Office and IE. ...
  • Re: Hacked again
    ... ruled out a Mac, but want to know if I'm overlooking something. ... many Windows games do not have Mac or Linux ports. ...
  • Re: minder
    ... Linux OS's. ... Desktop Operating System Market Share: ... Market Share of Windows XP ... Market Share of Mac OS X 10.9 ...