Re: Problems trying to configure Linux laptop to print to Windows XP shared printer

"d" <kevindu28@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

I'm at my wits end trying to get my Linux laptop (FC5) to print to a HP
printer which is being shared over the LAN from a Windows XP Home
desktop.

Instead of sharing the printer the Windows way, you might try
configuring Windows to share the printer the Unix way. Then you can
just tell cups there's a regular printer there. There are detailed
instructions for the Windows part at

http://iharder.sourceforge.net/macosx/winmacprinter/

When you get to "Step 5: Print Center on Mac OS X", just use cups to
configure the Linux machine instead. There's almost nothing to do,
because you're just pretending it's a Unix printer at this point.

I print to an HP printer attached to a Windows XP Home machine from my
Linux machine (as well as from my Mac OS X machine) this way and it
seems to work well.

I hope this helps,

Tim

  • Re: Initial experiences moving to Mac
    ... 2Ghz Intel Core Duo processor a few weeks ago. ... Mac platform is to replace both my Linux boxes ... and my Windows boxes (for music and occasionally other stuff Linux ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Just plain fucked...
    ... DeskJet F2100 (Windows, Mac OS X) ... DeskJet F2400 (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux) ... ScanJet 2100c ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: The Palladium (NGSCB) rollout has begun!!!
    ... >>willing to make the phones with Windows CE. ... Can you imagine a WindowsCE based cellphone? ... In most ways Linux ... Look at Mac Office and IE. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Hacked again
    ... ruled out a Mac, but want to know if I'm overlooking something. ... many Windows games do not have Mac or Linux ports. ...
    (alt.games.warcraft)
  • Re: minder
    ... Linux OS's. ... Desktop Operating System Market Share: ... Market Share of Windows XP ... Market Share of Mac OS X 10.9 ...
    (freebsd-questions)