Re: Trouble with Suse 10.1 and sound

I fought with suse 10.1 sound for a ages with a very new intel onboard
chipset. Yast would see the chipset but the test was completely mute
and starting any of the sound mixers just gave errors. Alsa and the
other standard linux sound driver which I cannot remember just would
not pick up the on board sound.

In the end I chickened out and bought an old £10 creative
soundblaster from ebay that worked immediately. I wish I'd done it
straight away and saved myself a couple of weeks. I guess if you are
competent with Linux or an eager learner you could work around the
problem but I couldnt find an easy peasy workthrough.

The Alsa site combined with this helpful site helped me identify older
creative cards that worked:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=vendor-Creative_Labs
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/livetolive51/index.html

Not sure if this is what you were after but it might help...

Norbert Kolvenbach wrote:
Hello,

I recently installed Suse 10.1 on my new box with MSI K8N Neo4
motherboard. Sound module is on board. YaSt discovers hardware well.
But now sound. Anybody observed the same and can help me?

Thanks and Regards,

NoKo

--
"Careful with that VAX, Eugene!"

  • Re: New Debian installation - no sound
    ... I suspect it is something to do with the soundcard chipset. ... sound problems with my Dell laptop. ... My brother has a Dell Inspiron 1000 laptop with Suse ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Cautionary Tales: lm_sensors for beginners
    ... really high tech and start using lm_sensors on SUSE 10.1. ... Took a while to pinpoint the sound as coming from the rheostat on the ... control knob gets rid of the noise. ... I've always found the lm_sensors stuff a bit hit and miss for detecting and setting things properly, like putting odd values in for alarm conditions. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] logitech usb headset configuration
    ... How do I get a logitech usb headset to work in suse 9.0? ... When plugged in usbview properly detects the device, yast doesn't (sound). ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Help configuring the sound device
    ... Apress Beginning SUSE Linux 2nd Ed. ... The thing the book leaves out is how to modify the sound driver. ... Alsa is that default sound handler for Suse. ... so you have to try all the sliders to see what they control. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)