Re: Problem setting up the internet connection

On Dec 24, 7:56 pm, The Natural Philosopher <a...@xxx> wrote:
Madhur wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Madhur wrote:

I am trying to connect to internet from RedHat Enterprise
Linux 4.0 update. I have configured my ethernet card properly. Using
the netconfig i have given the same parameters as configured in
Windows. In Windows i am able to connect to internet, and I have better
speed. After this configuration if i restart my network ..
$/etc/init.d/network restart
I am able to ping
But if i try to open the web page, page is getting loaded after a long
time. Some web pages are getting browser time outs and not able to open
the page.
I want to know is there any configuration i need to do either in the
browser or the system.
I am connecting directly to the internet through the router provided by
the ISP.
And in the browser there is no proxy setting configuration.
Please help me in establising proper internet connection..


What Browser?

Also, isn't redhat about version 9 these days?

As Jean has replied it is outdated version.. I am using Mozilla Browser
version 1.4.0..Well an upgrade to version 2 is feasible..if I can run it on WIN
98..surely you can run it on a real OS :-)

I have noticed some very slow paging on sites that employ microsofts
approximation to javascript, on the Mozilla platform. Some code causes a
CPU intensive pause of several minutes..

In general breaking sessions at an IP level are due to packet loss. Oh
there is one other possibility - that you are sharing an IP address with
someone else..I hope when you said "Using the netconfig i have given the
same parameters as configured in Windows." it wasn't on a different
machine...anyway check with a large ping session e.g. "ping -t". If that shows no packet loss you have no issues *below*
the routing level. Just to be safe try "ping -t100 -s" to see if large packets get through OK..sometimes packet
fragmentation can cause loss while small packets get through..

Another possibility is that something is flooding your
connection..sometimes misconfiguration can do that.
A dump of ifconfig -a posted here might help.

Mine looks like this
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:02:B3:2E:57:22
inet addr: Bcast: Mask:
inet6 addr: fe80::202:b3ff:fe2e:5722/64 Scope:Link
RX packets:1264178 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1331916 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1001480202 (955.0 MiB) TX bytes:868635703 (828.3 MiB)

Also a dump of /etc/resolv.conf

It should say


where xx.x.xx.xx is the IP address of a valid nameserver- probably your

I Thank you for the support.
The problem got solved after reinstalling my ethernet card driver.

Thanks a lot,