Re: IDE Cable

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:18:00 +0000 (UTC), Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <slrneqdlc6.4sc.aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
AZ Nomad <aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:07:57 -0500, Ben Olive <ben.olive@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:>Is it possible to use both a hard drive and an optical drive on the same
:>cable?
:
:It's possible, but a very very bad idea. IDE can't walk and chew gum at
:the same time. While doing a seek on the CD, a signifigantly time consuming
:operation, all hard drive access will be blocked.

If that isn't bad enough for you, consider what happens when you send a
command to eject the CD. The bus remains tied up for the entire time it
takes for the drive to spin down and eject the disk.

yikes. I'll keep that in mind when if I ever add a second CD/DVD drive
with the intention of multiple concurrent rips.

  • Re: "wscript.exe - No Disk" error
    ... After I eject a CD/DVD from my DVD drive or unmount an disk image from the Daemon Tools virtual drive, I get an error window with the title "wscript.exe - No Disk" and with the message " There is no disk in the drive. ... session name: console ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Cant Eject Disk Warrior 4 Disk
    ... You wouldn't be able to eject it anyway, because you can never eject the ... Nothing to do with Disk Warrior. ... machine does boot from the DW disk again, try the same again, but hold ... Not even the virus writers support Macs!" ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: strange behavior on multimedia eject button for cdrom
    ... If you eject a disk while it is being played, then the Linux driver will get a read failure. ... corrupted, the network connection is dead, etc. ... It behaves differently to yours in that a small section of music repeats again and again until the disk is ejected, and then carries on. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: keyboard & mouse lockup
    ... dvd or cd drives I could go to any program and work. ... use the eject button or eject the disk via menu on win explorer, ... A intermediate computer student ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: How do I close the CD door?
    ... You gently press the door inwards, and after a certain point the ... after you put the disk in there can't be that difficult. ... a "close the door" command, and of the eject command. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)