Re: IDE Cable

On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 15:18:00 +0000 (UTC), Robert Nichols <SEE_SIGNATURE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In article <slrneqdlc6.4sc.aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
AZ Nomad <aznomad.2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:07:57 -0500, Ben Olive <ben.olive@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:>Is it possible to use both a hard drive and an optical drive on the same
:>cable?
:
:It's possible, but a very very bad idea. IDE can't walk and chew gum at
:the same time. While doing a seek on the CD, a signifigantly time consuming
:operation, all hard drive access will be blocked.

If that isn't bad enough for you, consider what happens when you send a
command to eject the CD. The bus remains tied up for the entire time it
takes for the drive to spin down and eject the disk.

yikes. I'll keep that in mind when if I ever add a second CD/DVD drive
with the intention of multiple concurrent rips.
.