Re: Downloading packages for Linux on Windows

mailforpr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said the following, on 03/09/2007 09:28 AM:
Hello,

I've got a problem.I don't have an internet connection at home (where
I use Ubuntu Linux), and every time I need to intstall new software,
I've got to download all necessary packages at work manually, one
after another, day by day.

[snip]

Is there some kind of 'Synaptic' for windows to make it easier for me?

Thanks a lot.

I don't know of a tool that works directly in Windows. (There may well be one, but I haven't used Windows seriously for several years.)

Synaptic itself does have a facility that you might find useful in putting together a "home brew" solution. It will generate a download script from a list of marked dependencies ['File' / 'Generate package download script']. At least on my Ubuntu machine, this script has the form:

#! /bin/sh
wget http://some.repository.net/<package>
wget http://some.otherplace.net/<required-package>

In other words, it will give you a file that contains the URLs to get your package(s) and all dependencies. If there is a Windows utility like 'wget', then you could probably just turn this into a batch file; otherwise, you can probably figure out a way to feed the URLs into some sort of download program.

Then you can transfer all the downloaded package files to a directory on your Linux box, and ask Synaptic to install them. It's a little clunky, but probably better than doing them one at a time.

--
Rich Gibbs
richg74@xxxxxxxxx

.