Re: Downloading packages for Linux on Windows

mailforpr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx said the following, on 03/09/2007 09:28 AM:
Hello,

I've got a problem.I don't have an internet connection at home (where
I use Ubuntu Linux), and every time I need to intstall new software,
I've got to download all necessary packages at work manually, one
after another, day by day.

[snip]

Is there some kind of 'Synaptic' for windows to make it easier for me?

Thanks a lot.

I don't know of a tool that works directly in Windows. (There may well be one, but I haven't used Windows seriously for several years.)

Synaptic itself does have a facility that you might find useful in putting together a "home brew" solution. It will generate a download script from a list of marked dependencies ['File' / 'Generate package download script']. At least on my Ubuntu machine, this script has the form:

#! /bin/sh
wget http://some.repository.net/<package>
wget http://some.otherplace.net/<required-package>

In other words, it will give you a file that contains the URLs to get your package(s) and all dependencies. If there is a Windows utility like 'wget', then you could probably just turn this into a batch file; otherwise, you can probably figure out a way to feed the URLs into some sort of download program.

Then you can transfer all the downloaded package files to a directory on your Linux box, and ask Synaptic to install them. It's a little clunky, but probably better than doing them one at a time.

--
Rich Gibbs
richg74@xxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Installing sarge with basedebs.tar
    ... > It appears that debootstrap uses wget. ... minimum of 20 retry attempts on a given download. ... multiple hosts as any given package need be fetched only once. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Be => Sky
    ... I won't use my ISP's email server even if they have one. ... BE-supplied router work and had to use my own router which I preferred ... said that I did not *have* any download limit that I was aware of, ... I moved from Sky because they started sending me emails and letters saying that I had exceeded the usage that was appropriate for the package I was subscribed to, so did I want to pay more and upgrade to another package or limit my use... ...
    (uk.legal)
  • Re: FC5 - T3 - Had enough. Package Managers, Yumex is crap.
    ... I finished update with a broken X server, blew my system away using apt-get and answering yes to the extreme package removal in order to add one package and a host of other mishaps. ... FC5 test cycle was the easiest to install and deal with me in relation to other Development cycles. ... Usually there are still packages cached in /var/cache/yum/development/packages after pirut exits. ... earlier which started the download in the first place. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: pkg_add -r openoffice Error: FTP Unable to get ftp:
    ... If there is a package link from the FreeBSD site, in the future, ... My only comments were to thank the poster who mentioned the package, ... got it from the "approved" site; and to suggest to the FreeBSD maintainers OOo ... gets you to a page where you select your language, OS, and download ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: New to FC
    ... When you download a application, where is the "right" folder to ... Your use of the term 'folder' suggests you are also new to *nix. ... these will be 'rpms' for use by your package manager. ... speaking, if you are installing tarballs, these can be _built_ anywhere ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)