Re: A curious one

John Hasler wrote:
The Natural Philosopher writes:
After a power cut, my headless server -debian testing 2.6ish - wont
reboot without keyboard input..comes up with a floppy error.

I tried telling the BIOS it had no floppies, but it still does it..is
this a Linux issue or a BIOS type issue..?

It would be helpful to have more detail (such as exact error messages...)
but 10:1 this is a BIOS problem.

Yep. Could well be its losing its battery backed configs..

I have an old Aptiva that I use for a router (no keyboard or monitor).
Worked fine for months and then suddenly decided it couldn't boot without a
mouse (nothing relevant in the BIOS config). It now has a mouse taped to
the case.

  • [ANNOUNCE] ACPI BIOS Guideline for Linux
    ... Linux is urgently missing and should get published. ... I mainly try to get feedback from OEMs and BIOS developers, ... ACPI BIOS checks whether Linux is running...). ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [SLE] Yast gets incorrect hard disk size during install
    ... >>format as well as partition the HD. ... Linux wants the BIOS to be in control of the hardware but what almost ... everybody who installs M$ does is answer YES to the question in the BIOS ... the first 256 bytes of the partition. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Found, a new rootkit
    ... to the serial port. ... I fail the see the difference between the Linux driver for a serial ... The drivers themselves simply make BIOS calls. ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: blue screen reboot
    ... I have the cd all ready, but i have one problem, went into BIOS to change ... boot sequence to boot from cd, options are:- IDE 0: toshiba MK6034GAX ... USB FDD ... Boot the computer with a Linux Live CD. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: [SLE] SuSE Linux killed my hardware!
    ... It is not a compatibility problem: Linux itself worked like a number one. ... I didn't change the BIOS - I didn't have the chance any more, ... Are you REALLY sure that an os can't destroy any hardware (possibly overloads ... > On my Sony I had to add the boot parameters... ...
    (SuSE)