incomplete back-ups

dear all

i've been creating back-ups of our files every night through cron jobs
and my script
for this is like this:

0 21 * * 1 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/mon
0 21 * * 2 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/tue
0 21 * * 3 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/wed
0 21 * * 4 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/thu
0 21 * * 5 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/fri
0 21 * * 6 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/sat
0 21 * * 0 sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/sun

For several months, the scripts are working fine...however due to some
hardware failure
we created a new server only last week on another linux machine which
we configured same as the old machine.

The only differrence is that we upgraded from Ubuntu 5.04 (the Hoary
hedgehog) to 5.10 (Breezy
Badger)...

On this i transferred my cron scripts and have done a series of
testing where i found no
problem at all..

But when i checked yesterday, my back-ups whch is located on another
harddrive and is mounted as /db,
contains nothing but the administrator and ITdept folders only, and
the rest, has not been backed-up.
Thinking that my backup harddisk maybe full that is why its not doing
its back-ups completely, so i created
a shell script whch i named homebu_(day).sh, and i put the following
scripts:

rm -rf /db/home_bu/mon/
mkdir /db/home_bu/mon/
cd /
sudo cp -r /home /db/home_bu/mon

...deleting first the existing back-up and creating a new one..

...and added to my crontab like this:
0 21 * * 1 /home/scripts/homebu_mon.sh
0 21 * * 2 /home/scripts/homebu_tue.sh
0 21 * * 3 /home/scripts/homebu_wed.sh
0 21 * * 4 /home/scripts/homebu_thu.sh
0 21 * * 5 /home/scripts/homebu_fri.sh
0 21 * * 6 /home/scripts/homebu_sat.sh
0 21 * * 0 /home/scripts/homebu_sun.sh

I tested again and, it works. But again when i checked it this
morning, the back up file has again the
administrator and ITdept folders only..i don't understand this..
when i run the df command, it returns:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used
Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/Ubuntu-root 75175056 20823028 50533328
30% /
tmpfs 254248 0
254248 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 254248 12588
241660 5% /lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/volatile
/dev/hda1 233335 11596
209291 6% /boot
/dev/hdc1 76920416 76920052
0 100% /db

my back up drive is 100% used, is this the reason? if it is then i
guess my approach to
solving it is not good at all.

Hope there could be someone who could explain further and help me
address
this problem...

thanks,
grace

  • Re: avoid multiple script startup overhead
    ... problem we are seeing on our solaris servers due to various cron jobs ... spawning of new perl and ksh interpreters to run various scripts is ... interpreter, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] where can I change $PATH
    ... So I'll need to change my scripts that get run by cron to use full paths ... If you want to add a directory to PATH for all cron jobs, you can do that in /etc/crontab ... If you only need to add the special dir to PATH for one or a few scripts, you can do that right in the script itself, anywhere near the top, before the special commands get run. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Postfix woes
    ... 2007 at 01:46AM Rem P Roberti wrote: ... cron jobs, start scripts, management agents, ... ... I suggest that you paste the output of all your CRON jobs, ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: cronjobs with errors in shell scripts
    ... know how to debug those scripts. ... has been sent by email to the user whose cron jobs these are. ... Add the command env to ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: 10.4.11 Security Update screws up a lot of stuff
    ... Michael Vilain wrote: ... When I updated to 10.4.11 it added new scripts ending ... cron jobs to run twice. ... I moved the .applesaved scripts to my ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)