Re: Rebuilding my server

Bill Baka wrote:

I had a 10 year old MB that I bought for $1,200 in 1988. In 1997 I
couldn't even get $25 for it. I remember back then an upgrade to the hard
drive was from 10MB to 40MB with 1GB drives for $1,000.

The first machine I was sysadmin for had two hard drives. They ran at 2250
rpm or some such speed (three phase motors). They were the size of a
top-loading washing machine and cost $40,000 each (in about 1970). The good
thing about them was that you could take the disk packs off and replace
them. We did that routinely for backups, although we also did backups on a
mag tape drive that took about one refrigerator sized box.

A quick search reveals that my $600 motherboard I got at the end of 2003 is
now available for $555.99 or $515. I would have thought it would be cheaper
by now. Or not available. Supermicro X5DP8-G2.

^^-^^ 17:00:01 up 15 days, 23:11, 0 users, load average: 4.10, 4.18, 4.15

  • Re: Disney reservations system
    ... I too thought that this is a bit long for a "cutover" many large business have clustered component model systems that should allow them to cutover to the new system in a rolling model that would allow very few outtages. ... printed all the routine reports and certain special reports. ... this was all done we were ready for the upgrade. ... After this was done we did two more backups of the complete ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)
  • Re: Kodak EasyShare upgrade disaster not compatible with WindowsXP
    ... matter everything you store on a PC is at a risk of loss. ... Backups can be as simple as copying important data to a Thumb drive ... I recently tried an upgrade and lost all my photo albums!! ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: OT: ZoneAlarm Bloatware
    ... I just tried the upgrade to see if they had ... When I attempted to install I got a message ... format just put the ghost backup for that drive back on. ... I also use 2 USB portables to do backups onto. ...
    (alt.machines.cnc)
  • Re: SBS2003 upgrade to R2 & WSUS 2.0
    ... After making the usual backups & images... ... carry out the upgrade. ... How will the R2 upgrade deal with the existing WSUS database? ... Since you are on SBS Std, the fact that R2 Premium includes SQL 2005 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Disney reservations system
    ... printed all the routine reports and certain special reports. ... this was all done we were ready for the upgrade. ... After this was done we did two more backups of the complete ... before we started and ran the nightly cycle again. ...
    (rec.arts.disney.parks)