Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

Tom Newton wrote:
| On 2008-02-29, zeno <geoffrey.froner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|> I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM ThinkCentre and am unable to invoke
|> a virtual terminal from the GUI; all I get is a blank screen, although
|> I can return to the GUI with ctrl-alt-f7. I think it may be a Ubuntu
|> bug having to do with framebuffers but am unable to get any good info
|> from the Ubu people. Can anyone provide info or some fix?
|> TIA
|>
|> Geoffrey
|

| Do you mean getting a console, a tty, by doing, for example:
|
| ctrl-alt-f2?
|
| You expect a bash login prompt like this:
|
| Welcome to Linux 2.6....
|
| <hostname> login: _
|
| ??
|
| If so, that would be configured in /etc/inittab with a
| line like this:
|
| c2:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
|
| I don't see what framebuffers would have to do with it,
| though I suppose you could be right.
|
| But I suspect that the screen isn't entirely blank, that
| there is a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner,
| and that the problem is that you just aren't running agetty
| there.
|
| Hopefully, editing /etc/inittab and rebooting will solve your
| problem.

I thought the same thing, until I fired up my Ubuntu-powered laptop to take a
look. <ctrl><alt><f1> /did/ take me to a prompt, though, so something isn't
entirely right in the OP's setup.

While your suggestion would work on most other distros, it appears that Ubuntu
doesn't use the /etc/inittab at all. Instead, it uses scripts in the
/etc/event.d directory to manage the process. The OP should check that the
scripts /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] exist, and contain the requisite
~ exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty?
line, along with the rest of the wrapper script.

FWIW, Canonical replaced the usual init(8) with one of their own; telinit
(which is a hardlink to init) returns
~ telininit (upstart 0.3.8)
~ Copyright (C) 2007 Canonical Ltd.
when I execute "telinit --version" on my Ubuntu system.

[snip]

- --
Lew Pitcher

- ---------- Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing. ------

  • Re: Big Mac Hoax 2: "OS X is Unix"
    ... Because it's easier than working with a GUI frontend? ... And, for many things, the OS X GUI, I suspect, is still well ahead of Ubuntu ... probably go back to Debian for desktops. ... Because I needed a laptop and Apple was the best option in my price range. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: [OT] Debian mailinglists [was: RE: Debian or Ubuntu?]
    ... That's because people are needing to do much less hand editing. ... A tool that won't let you write invalid config files is not necessarily ... The paste below is the Intro for Ubuntu. ... The issue being discussed in this thread seems to be CLI vs GUI. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: ASCII
    ... Most current Linux distros assume that people want a GUI so they default ... to installin one if you choose a 'desktop' or 'workstation' installation. ... The text console is available within the GUI by running a 'terminal ... Ubuntu so I can't give you step-by-step instructions. ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: ASCII
    ... Most current Linux distros assume that people want a GUI so they default ... to installin one if you choose a 'desktop' or 'workstation' installation. ... The text console is available within the GUI by running a 'terminal ... Ubuntu so I can't give you step-by-step instructions. ...
    (soc.religion.quaker)
  • Re: Automatix?
    ... On Sunday 26 March 2006 21:47, Bryann Melvin wrote: ... There NEEDS to be better tools and more tools that are GUI based. ... Even the guide and Unnoficial Guide need to start being written to do as ... If it is desirable for Linux and/or Ubuntu to become usable for the ...
    (Ubuntu)