Re: Prob w/ virtual terminals

Tom Newton wrote:
| On 2008-02-29, zeno <geoffrey.froner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|> I am running Ubuntu 7.10 on an IBM ThinkCentre and am unable to invoke
|> a virtual terminal from the GUI; all I get is a blank screen, although
|> I can return to the GUI with ctrl-alt-f7. I think it may be a Ubuntu
|> bug having to do with framebuffers but am unable to get any good info
|> from the Ubu people. Can anyone provide info or some fix?
|> TIA
|>
|> Geoffrey
|

| Do you mean getting a console, a tty, by doing, for example:
|
| ctrl-alt-f2?
|
| You expect a bash login prompt like this:
|
| Welcome to Linux 2.6....
|
| <hostname> login: _
|
| ??
|
| If so, that would be configured in /etc/inittab with a
| line like this:
|
| c2:1235:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 tty2 linux
|
| I don't see what framebuffers would have to do with it,
| though I suppose you could be right.
|
| But I suspect that the screen isn't entirely blank, that
| there is a flashing cursor in the upper left hand corner,
| and that the problem is that you just aren't running agetty
| there.
|
| Hopefully, editing /etc/inittab and rebooting will solve your
| problem.

I thought the same thing, until I fired up my Ubuntu-powered laptop to take a
look. <ctrl><alt><f1> /did/ take me to a prompt, though, so something isn't
entirely right in the OP's setup.

While your suggestion would work on most other distros, it appears that Ubuntu
doesn't use the /etc/inittab at all. Instead, it uses scripts in the
/etc/event.d directory to manage the process. The OP should check that the
scripts /etc/event.d/tty[1-6] exist, and contain the requisite
~ exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty?
line, along with the rest of the wrapper script.

FWIW, Canonical replaced the usual init(8) with one of their own; telinit
(which is a hardlink to init) returns
~ telininit (upstart 0.3.8)
~ Copyright (C) 2007 Canonical Ltd.
when I execute "telinit --version" on my Ubuntu system.

[snip]

- --
Lew Pitcher

- ---------- Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing. ------