Re: automatic start of computer

I demand that Jean-David Beyer may or may not have written...

Peter Köhlmann wrote:
Don't forget "Wake up on LAN"

If the OP is running a LAN, that might be the case. He did not say so, so
we do not know.

Of course the WOL signal could be coming in from the Internet as well, I
suppose, but that would require the "attacker" to know his NIC address and
an optional password. It would also be necessary that he have a power
supply that powers up the NIC even when the computer is off. Some people
turn the PSU off, too, when they shut down their system. In that case, WOL
would not work.

Well... let's just say that I've seen a computer wake up and start booting
for no obvious reason. No wake-up events were set or enabled (that I know
of); power supply should be clean (filtering extension sockets), but it's
possible that momentary dips in the supply triggered it ‒ I'd have to check
its BIOS config to see whether it's configured to use "last known state" on
power restoration, but I don't see how that should affect it since it had
been powered off, unless its last known state isn't being stored properly.

| + Buy local produce. Try to walk or cycle. TRANSPORT CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

It is better to have men ask why you have no statue than why you have one.

  • Re: Okay fill me in whats been happening....
    ... If your spin kick is done well, ... one must use footwork to close a path from one attacker off. ... Some will use catching techniques, and try to twist thier oppoenents while ... that also means you need close range power generation training. ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: Do the people I see in the movies use Unix?
    ... >> the other computer through the AC power wiring instead. ... > with the computer after the planted evidence became available. ... and the network is monitored. ... > the hardware to receive it, and it would appear that the attacker ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)
  • Re: Do the people I see in the movies use Unix?
    ... > other computer through the AC power wiring instead. ... computer after the planted evidence became available. ... power network. ... and it would appear that the attacker had no way to get the data ...
    (comp.unix.programmer)