Re: GRUB or LILO on NTFS?

Kertis Henderson wrote:
Hello,

I have a PC laptop that has a single NTFS partition, and I'd like to
install GRUB or LILO. My goal is to boot into the OS on the NTFS
partition using a Linux-type bootloader. Of course, it's easy to
install GRUB if you have an available e2fs or fat partition for /boot/
grub, but I only have NTFS at this time. I have never installed LILO
by hand, but I understand that it might work, too.

I compiled GRUB2, but it segfaults. GRUB legacy doesn't seem to want
to install to NTFS. It says "filesystem type unknown, partition type
0x7." I'm using the GRUB from Knoppix 5.0 DVD, which is 0.95 or so.

Does anyone know of a way to install a Linux-type bootloader onto an
NTFS partition? If not, is there a better place to ask this question?

Thanks in advance.

(Hardware is Dell Inspiron 9300, WD 250GB 2.5" hard drive as /dev/
sda. CD-ROM + USB. No floppy.)

I'm not certain why you want a Linux loader for only Windows, but ...
I'm not aware of NTFS support for grub.conf, so that leaves LILO.
Unless there's a live CD that includes LILO support, your best bet is
probably installing LILO from a bootable USB drive with Linux.
So now you need to make a bootable USB drive and put LILO on it, first.
(I'm assuming your laptop can boot to a USB drive.)
That seems like a lot of work not to use the NT loader on a machine that
only has Windows.
.