video driver / only low resolution possible?

Hello,

I just installed Debian 4.0 for an AMD-64 processor. Unfortunately, I cannot set the screen resolution to something else than 640x480, on 60Hz.
My video card is a GeForce 7100 GS; capable of much more than only basic vga....

I tried to download a driver from nvidia.com, but then I need to recompile a lot of things. libc header files are missing, ect. Just a little bit too complicated for a starting linux user :(

Does anybody have a suggestion how to set the higher screen resolutions?

Thanx in advance for any hint!

/Eilko Nijboer.