video driver / only low resolution possible?

Hello,

I just installed Debian 4.0 for an AMD-64 processor. Unfortunately, I cannot set the screen resolution to something else than 640x480, on 60Hz.
My video card is a GeForce 7100 GS; capable of much more than only basic vga....

I tried to download a driver from nvidia.com, but then I need to recompile a lot of things. libc header files are missing, ect. Just a little bit too complicated for a starting linux user :(

Does anybody have a suggestion how to set the higher screen resolutions?

Thanx in advance for any hint!

/Eilko Nijboer.

  • Re: 1420 Display issue
    ... screen resolution supported by the video card in this notebook is 1024x768 ... > I have a clean install of Vista Business with all the latest Dell ... > never had a problem installing an Intel display driver on a Dell. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: window sizing
    ... Following is likely very obvious to you --- review screen resolution settings. ... To change your screen resolution -- use Windows key+Break keys to get Control Panel. ... If this motherboard has an onboard video AND you added an add-on video card, I believe you need to disable the mobo onboard video. ...
  • RE: 1420 Display issue
    ... as it doesn't support more than 1024x768. ... This is the reason that it reverts to 1024x768 screen resolution ... video card initializes the maximum supported video resolution while ... I have a clean install of Vista Business with all the latest Dell ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Re: 1420 Display issue
    ... I would like to inform you that the maximum screen resolution supported by the video card in this notebook is 1024x768 with 32 bit colors and 60 Hertz refresh rate. ... Please use the following web link to download and install it in this system. ... I have a clean install of Vista Business with all the latest Dell drivers. ...
    (alt.sys.pc-clone.dell)
  • Problems with start-up/VGA mode and display
    ... video card. ... just a guess since you didnt provide any spacifics. ... >However, my computer still started in VGA mode, and the ... >difference I noticed was a smaller screen resolution (800 ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)