Re: video driver / only low resolution possible?

On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:37:36 +0200, Eilko wrote:

I found out that I needed to install the kernel sources first.

Not really necessary.

I found out that they had to be unpacked manually.

Yup.

I found out that I need to tell the nvidia script where to find the
sources. I know that this works, because previously the kernel.h could
not be found, but now the script doesn't complain about kernel.h
anymore. So most likely it found that headerfile.

But the latest error report of nvidia seems to be more tricky.
It claims that it cannot find
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18/include/linux/version.h which is true
because that file doesn't exist. Similar files do exist on different
places in the source tree, but they have a different meaning..

I'm running Solaris ATM and can't tell you exactly where that file is but
I think that you will find it in under /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.18.x

Create a symbolic link in /usr/src

ln -s linux-headers-2.6.18.x linux

Then the nVidia installer script should be able to find it.

The other option is to copy /boot/config-2.6.18-5-686 to
/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18/.config, then

cd /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.18
make oldconfig
make bzImage

and hit Control-C after a page of output scrolls by.

Then change your symlink

cd ../
ln -sf linux-source-2.6.18 linux

On nvidia.com it was advised to use the script parameter
--kernel-include-dir but that parameter is not recognized by the script.

It should be; more likely you invoked it incorrectly.

Am I making progress in the right direction? Or am I making a stupid
fundamental error? How do I correct the version.h error?

You're doing OK. The header files which the nVidia script failed to find
are probably present where I said. Take a look and see.

One thing is for sure, Debian is not suitable for a complete novice.
Yesterday I was a complete novice, today I'm just a novice.. But I like
the learning process :) And thanks for your help!

AFAIK the only OS which comes with the nVidia drivers installed is
Solaris, which is not "free" in the Stallman sense but is available for
free download and use.

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/downloads/

I'm currently using the Solaris Express Community Edition.

Now it may be necessary for you to create a config file for X if one does
not already exist or modify the one which is there at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
Get your driver installed and post again if you still can't get things
working correctly.

  • Re: sunmanagers Digest, Vol 28, Issue 14
    ... I have an V65x server x86 base, how do I format this box? ... I inser a solaris 9 cd and boot up try to do stop a so I can boot from ... need script to measure system performance. ... Moving a disk from SPARC to x86 ...
    (SunManagers)
  • RE: Telnetd exploit for solaris
    ... Subject: Telnetd exploit for solaris ... > You owe script kiddies... ... The computer and software industries owe script kiddies NOTHING. ...
    (Vuln-Dev)
  • Re: Massive Memory Structures
    ... (Solaris on sparc, Solaris on x86_64) ... script, I get an out of memory error and the script dies. ... what options do I need to compile in to make this happen. ... It will create a 5g test file, ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Re: syslog to send msg to last user in printer queue
    ... >Where boven1 is the printername in Solaris. ... of Solaris that deliver each print job to the printer. ... own printer interface script. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • nvidia whats wrong?
    ... Nvidia display driver kernel module ... Re-added the mysteriously vanished sleep line in the init script ...
    (Fedora)