Re: Does rysnc works for this?

On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:06:56 -0700, Jacky, Jack wrote:

I am going to plan to make a backup with a old server. Previously, my
guys told me that when using dd for clone like command to make the clone
results in hard disk corruption. I am planning to work like this:

dd might work like a charm...

Had some controller issues on a Wintendo. Installed old and new disk in a
lab computer. Booted a Linux live CD. Used dd to copy the old 40G SCSI HD
onto a new 150G SATA. Created a new NTFS-partition for extra space for
home folders. Installed the SATA disk into the Wintendo box and booted. I
then moved the home folders, but that's another story...

On the new machine:
1. Boot from live cd for else that supports networking. 2. Mount the
local hard drive and format as ext3 (label: /) 3. rysnc the old machine
root (/) to the new one.

4. Install bootloader. (man grub-install)
5. Check /etc/udev for rules that might change expected device names. (On
my workstation, changing /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules is
critical in order to make networking work from first boot)

Two machine hardware configuration is identicial, I would like to ask,
does it work?

YES..!

--
Regards/mvh Joachim Mæland

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
-Mario Andretti

  • Re: second HD with drive image
    ... make a clone - a byte-for-byte copy of the partition. ... Casper 4.0 handles Vista as well. ... We've been working with the Casper 4.0 disk cloning program for about three ... HDD so that if the recipient of the clone is an internal HDD, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Backup Software rcommendation
    ... Before getting to the below, Yes, one could use a Cloned disk to Clone ... No, not to a failed disk, but to a good backup HD, which ... IMO external USB drives ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Ghost/Clone Hard Drive?
    ... I used Spotmau Clone Genius but while the clone did ... problem trying to clone Vista from my HDD to an OCZ SSD using Norton ... I would strongly second Gene's suggestion to take a look at the Casper 5 ... But the truly significant advantage of the Casper 5.0 disk cloning program ...
  • Re: Ghost/Clone Hard Drive?
    ... I used Spotmau Clone Genius but while the clone did ... problem trying to clone Vista from my HDD to an OCZ SSD using Norton ... I would strongly second Gene's suggestion to take a look at the Casper 5 ... But the truly significant advantage of the Casper 5.0 disk cloning program ...
  • Re: Kids Gone-Hard drive cleaning time
    ... initial boot. ... install OS. ... Do NOT have the original and new disk connected to the system at boot ... except when making the clone. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)