Re: Which distro?

Jerry Stuckle wrote:

Hi, all,

I've got several VPS's, and have been using Debian on all of them. It's
been working fine for me, with the exception of one site.

This one site is heavily modified due to some system requirements. Exim
recompiled with MySQL support, for instance, and a bunch of other things.

As a result, upgrading the system has become a nightmare, because you
have to check everything you're going to upgrade to ensure it's not
going to break something else.

So, what I'm looking for is a distro where I can install as little as
possible - if possible, just the basic OS (with networking, etc.).
Additional packages I will compile and install myself.

Any suggestions as to which would be the best distro for this?

TIA.

Hello, Yes it is me :)

Here is what I use,

http://www.archlinux.org/

You install a minimal install and then use pacman the package manager to
load just what you want. This is a rolling distribution ie no reinstall on
the latest. Just uses pacman to fetch and install the newest packages.

You can also download the Arch Build System to create a custom package and
install it, and pacman will then track it.

I use to build my own using linux from scratch but this is better.

--
Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  • Re: Tcl/TK + Linux --> confused newbie
    ... Having been pointed to Ubuntu as a suitable distro I have been following ... _and_ has an excellent set of tcl related packages). ... I recently asked about a "lean" install of Ubuntu. ... A linux version of Tcl just needs a suitable version of GLIBC (libc, ...
    (comp.lang.tcl)
  • Re: Is Linux always so frustating^
    ... Sometimes the choice of a distro is just a subjective matter. ... Perhaps the key question is "How" you tryed to install the stuff... ... The problem is that many packages have dependencies on other packages; ... In the most cases drivers are completely unnecesary. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux Vs. FreeBSD
    ... >> has made a lot of effort towards making it easy to install. ... Debian's not a bad distro. ... although packages like this are few and far between. ... since the binary dependencies certainly wouldn't be any ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [SLE] Installing other distros RPM packages?
    ... >>that whilst it may be possible to install other distro RPM's on our ... >>those packages from source into a SuSE RPM and then installing it? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: Beagle frontend
    ... This is why Beagle (or Nepomuk, ... technology should NOT be automatically turned on at install. ... willing to remove packages you don't need. ... Right now, Suse is my distro of choice, both because of personal ...
    (SuSE)