Re: Which distro?

I demand that Jerry Stuckle may or may not have written...

John Hasler wrote:
[snip]
Exim does not require Mysql.

My Exim installation does - and therein lies the problem. The Exim which
is supplied with Debian replaces mine on an upgrade, and all email stops
working.

Then build your own *packaged* versions (you should add an entry to
debian/changelog, modifying the version number by adding something like
"+local1"), install them (use dpkg) & mark them as "held" (aptitude allows
this).

To build, use "debuild binary" (requires devscripts) or, if you want a source
package containing your changes to be built as well, "debuild".

Upgrading any given modified package should be fine, so long as you put your
changes in whatever patch system the source package uses or you can readily
identify them in the .diff.gz.

[snip]
| + Burn less waste. Use less packaging. Waste less. USE FEWER RESOURCES.

On the way to the corner, a dropped tool will land on your foot.

  • Re: Downloading Debian CD: "stable" or "testing"?
    ... > In general, unless there are security problems with a package, it will NEVER ... > be upgraded in Stable (until there's a new version of the whole Debian ... I run sarge on my local server. ... When stable changed from woody to sarge, there were upgrade problems. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Intel DG965SS woes
    ... I have been running Debian Unstable for years. ... package and installed it. ... only thing I can find is an article that says set the BIOS to use AHCI ... Do I need a BIOS upgrade? ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Most stable and tested distribution?
    ... With Debian "testing" or Ubuntu "anything," you need to install apt-listbugs. ... Whenever apt-listbugs warns me about a package during upgrading, I almost always put that package on "hold" and upgrade the rest. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Which distro?
    ... is supplied with Debian replaces mine on an upgrade, and all email stops ... Upgrading any given modified package should be fine, so long as you put your ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Sarge Upgrade DEBOCLE ! ! !
    ... > I have mistakenly trusted the Debian community and upgraded to Sarge ... I'd look at the post removal script and see if you can: ... after every other package is upgrade WITH APTITUDE. ... The stable release notes say to upgrade apt first and then use aptitude ...
    (Debian-User)