Re: setting up a server with no screen or keyboard: use X or just ssh?

obakesan <pellicleundies@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was thinking of setting it up to run with no screen / keyboard to save space
in the apartment (and keep it out of the way).

Can anyone advise me if its better to try and get X going on the 'client'
computers and connect to the server via X or just use SSH?

I run a similar setup here. My servers have no screen and keyboard, and
I access them via telnet from client machines.

I have no X components on the server.

My servers provide web services, wiki documentation, usenet news feed,
internet relay chat, sql database services, and all sorts of stuff, all
without X, so SSH would work just fine for you.

Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Hobley,
393 Quinton Road West,

  • Re: Trouble with X11 over SSH on Mandriva 2010.0
    ... If next clean install/update causes ssh to break, ... installed the sshd daemon/service package (OpenSSH Server) on the server. ... correct values for client and server. ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: Apache Software Foundation Server compromised, resecured. (fwd)
    ... this was one "result" of the comromised ssh binary at sourceforge. ... a public server of the Apache Software Foundation ... > (ASF) was illegally accessed by unknown crackers. ... > exhaustive audit of all Apache source code and binary distributions ...
    (FreeBSD-Security)
  • Re: FreeBSD Crash without Errors, Warnings, or Panics
    ... I suppose I could run on stable until the driver is fixed in a release branch, but I need this box up and online, and I've always read that the stable branch is not the place for production servers. ... I'm running 6.0-RELEASE-p5 on a Toshiba built server: dual Xeon Intel motherboard with a LSILogic MegaRAID controller. ... Also, some network ports still respond, like a telnet to port 22 to test SSH will yield an SSH banner, but trying to connect with SSH just hangs. ... The box runs a web-based app and connects to a local Postgres DB which seemed to be unable to start new connections being requested by the PHP scripts. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)
  • Re: restrict ssh access
    ... > We have one ssh server which receives about 6000 failed attempts to ... > unsuccessful login attempts per client IP address? ... the remote server is also running OpenSSH. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: SSH as root
    ... Subject: SSH as root ... but it doesn't require having a key on the server that could be ... If they compromise a server, and the passphrase, etc. is there, they only ... private key to anyone. ...
    (SSH)