Installing new linux distribution from an already running linux

Hi all,

Looks like there are no distributions that allow
installation from an already running linux ( different or older
distribution), except may be coLinux and WinLinux.

What I was looking for was some thing like load the CD/DVD, run
installer form the CD kind of installation.

Though it may be straight forward to have installers that runs from
other running system, seems it is not possible - except may be using
qemu etc. Is there any reason why there are no such installation
methods? Just wondering.

Thanks,
George

  • Re: Dell Inspiron which Linux
    ... Is this a flavor of Knoppix or do you ... >> Now I want to try Linux again, as a dual boot installation, on a Dell ... >> not knowledgeable about the distributions available. ...
    (comp.os.linux.portable)
  • Re: Distros vary in permance?
    ... >> amount of ram, yet some things are still slow, which does not seem ... He, like so many, is trying to find why there are so many distributions, ... A given kernel is the same in any distribution that uses it. ... One of the key differences between distributions is the installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Distros vary in permance?
    ... It's all depends on what program you running, not package distro. ... > He, like so many, is trying to find why there are so many distributions, ... > A given kernel is the same in any distribution that uses it. ... > One of the key differences between distributions is the installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: 8.0 installation doesnt contain X distributions
    ... I downloaded the DVD ISO for FreeBSD 8.0 and verified the MD5 ... and the help for the "Choose Distributions" section of sysinstall says ... presented on installation), or do I need to download other media from ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Distros vary in permance?
    ... > He, like so many, is trying to find why there are so many distributions, ... > A given kernel is the same in any distribution that uses it. ... > One of the key differences between distributions is the installation ... > from the fact that it isn't intended to be a Windows replacement, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)