Re: Partitioning harddisk for Ubuntu

Martin Kleiner wrote:
I would like to have an Unbuntu distribution installed on one
partition of the harddisk. The HD in
total is 160 GB so I wonder how much storage I should keep for the
Ubuntu installation? It is important
for me to have the whole Latex stuff installed to write documents. I
was thinking of having 20 GB reserved for
Linux? How big should the SWAP partition be?

Could you give us some more details please?
What other systems do you intend on installing?
How much RAM do you have?
What sort of programs do you intend on running
and how many at once.

Most distro installers recommend twice your RAM
for swap but if you have a gigabyte or more 512MB
should suffice quite nicely for most task.

Quote of the login:
C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes that
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

  • Re: Installer inadequacies
    ... Reinventing disk partitioning here is a total disaster. ... "New for the sake of being different" is a way of life in Fedora, and I find that the need to have the latest is the only objective being given value, while no thought is being given to preserving the value of experience gained by current users. ... selected) I selected the sole disk available for installation, ... to put the whole F18 installation into that 20 GB partition. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: ubuntu-users Digest, Vol 68, Issue 312
    ... Do i need to Dload again and run installation again? ... Or just an upgrade will do? ... $ sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list ... Is the /boot partition and separate from the / ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Installation problem, partitionar stuck at 52% .....(Using IDE HDD)
    ... RAM: 64 MB SDRAM ... I finally got ubuntu 5.10 installed on my system. ... When it asks me to start partition manager i just skip this ... skipping the partition step and starting the base system installation. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Should I make an image disk?
    ... You keep your photo and music data in a separate location from ... Based on your question about backing up the entire XP partition, ... that the resulting image file is always smaller than the sum of all the data ... A clean installation of XP may be kept on CD for image ...
  • Re: Auto OS Install Process
    ... umm - regarding partition, i was under the impression that an OS ... process needs to occur so I can programatically set the boot OS. ... If you want to be able to reinstall *or* access the ... I'd want the 2nd installation to be able to immeadiately, ...
    (Fedora)