Re: Partitioning harddisk for Ubuntu

Martin Kleiner wrote:
I would like to have an Unbuntu distribution installed on one
partition of the harddisk. The HD in
total is 160 GB so I wonder how much storage I should keep for the
Ubuntu installation? It is important
for me to have the whole Latex stuff installed to write documents. I
was thinking of having 20 GB reserved for
Linux? How big should the SWAP partition be?

Could you give us some more details please?
What other systems do you intend on installing?
How much RAM do you have?
What sort of programs do you intend on running
and how many at once.

Most distro installers recommend twice your RAM
for swap but if you have a gigabyte or more 512MB
should suffice quite nicely for most task.

Quote of the login:
C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes that
harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup
.