Re: yum - No module named yum

In article <1e07cabb-b448-4f45-8030-1180ff340911@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:On Dec 1, 8:33=A0pm, Robert Nichols
:<SEE_SIGNAT...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:> In article <01644013-6f58-4076-bb81-d2447b1dc...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx=
:com>,Bob =A0<j...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:
:> :On a side note, is there some reason why older fc rpm
:> :packages are left on an upgrade? =A0ie I have some fc10
:> :rpms and not fc11 ones after the upgrade which I suspect
:> :might be causing this? =A0Seems to me fedora should take
:> :care of it for me during upgrade somehow.
:>
:> That can happen when you wait to do the upgrade until a long time after
:> the release. =A0Problem is that updates to F-10 during that interval have
:> installed packages with version numbers that make them "newer" than what
:> is on the F-11 disk. =A0Does the installation disk allow you to specify
:> additional repos during an upgrade? =A0If so, you could try the upgrade
:> again and add an F-11 "updates" repo to the mix. =A0That will hopefully
:> bring in the correct version of those packages. =A0The only other thing I
:> can suggest is manually running rpm with the "--oldpackage" option to
:> force installation of any of the "older" F-11 packages that look like
:> they are needed, but you are likely to find yourself going through
:> Dependency Hell with that approach.
:
:As near as I can tell, unless the package is discarded as part of the
:new release, this older/newer package desynchronization only occurs
:when there is a published update for both the older and newer OS, and
:you've failed to run "yum update" for the new OS.

That's exactly the situation you'll find yourself in if you take a fully
updated F-10 installation and try to upgrade it with the F-11
installation disk (now more than 6 months out of date) without also
including an F-11 "updates" repository in your upgrade process. You
stand a good chance of ending up with a system that is too broken to be
able to do any further updates on its own.

"yum update" can
:suck up one hell of a lot of bandwidth if packages like kde language
:or OpenOffice packages have updated, and take quite a long time to
:run, but they're worth doing.

Amen. When I upgraded from F-11 to F-12 with an F-12 "os" release repo
available locally, there were already 300MB of F-12 updates that got
pulled in from the net, and this was within a week of the F-12 release.
That's pretty hard to avoid when using a distro that changes as rapidly
as does Fedora.

  • [opensuse] Manual dist upgrade procedure(s) & tools/progs/aids?
    ... This topic is not intended at those who only upgrade a system by running ... for packages that are broken in 10.3). ... ideally), the utility would work with any RPM based distribution, but my ... I want the command to be able to be run over some "set" of older RPM's ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Preupgrade fc14 to fc15 failed, kernel is not installed
    ... After login in my system by chroot in livecd, by checking "rpm -qa |grep ... So at least most fc15 packages have installed. ... I guess preupgrade must forget to install kernel. ... But I don't know how to upgrade kernel with a kernel RPM ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Upgrading RH 8.0 to rawhide
    ... > I'd like to upgrade all my RPM packages to the rawhide ... > and try to upgrade my rpms with them. ... of the official rawhide mirrors, then I just started to upgrade one ... you're keeping backups of older packages. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: Redhat upgrade problem - packages fail rpm -Va
    ... If I force the upgrade of these packages with the command 'rpm ... I would like to be able to verify my installation with ...
    (linux.redhat.install)
  • Re: Redhat upgrade problem - packages fail rpm -Va
    ... If I force the upgrade of these packages with the command 'rpm ... I would like to be able to verify my installation with ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)