Re: apt-get and aptitude

Artist writes:
There are several installations I did using Debian apt-get before I
found out I really should have been using aptitude.

I wrote:
Why do you believe that?

Artist writes:
http://www.garfieldtech.com/blog/your-debian-aptitude

apt-get can do everything aptitude can, including installing
"recommends" by default. It even has super cow powers. There is no
reason to prefer one front-end over another except personal preference.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@xxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Different weird update by apt-get and aptitude
    ... apt-get update ... Why do aptitude and apt-get give different answers? ... Your VM already has upstart installed. ... Installing sysvinit would make it more similar to the zillions of VMs ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: aptitude freezes after install
    ... aptitudes and then installing some other package. ... Then I repeated the install of aptitude, and here's what it told me: ... dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of aptitude: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: package management begins to annoy me
    ... is only because i don't know apt-get and aptitude well enough. ... "Automatically" installed packages: ... and this insisted on installing almost the complete cups system. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • aptitudes removal of packages when upgrading
    ... I thought that I understood aptitude pretty well, ... upgrade my system, so I updated, and then hit 'U'. ... incompatible with some package that I wanted installed. ... as installing two incompatible packages, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: apt-get vs. aptitude
    ... What is the prefered tool for installing on the CLI? ... time I read about it, it was aptitude, due to better dependency ... computer like a server, so you can probably forgot about that. ... The problem imho of that interface is that: ...
    (Debian-User)