Re: It's 2010 going on 2011. Who seriously uses Linux still?

Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On comp.os.linux.setup, JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2010-12-06, Sidney Lambe <sidneylambe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On comp.os.linux.setup, Edward A. Falk <falk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[delete]

Isn't Windows still subject to 80s era type widescale
vulnerabilities and viral outbreaks?

I don't think it has anything to do with the time. It was
just crappy software.

Linux is a clone of Unix, which is a 70s OS. I've never had a
problem with any malware and I have a firewall with 3 rules in
the ruleset, copied off the web. I typically run as root, too.

It's not easy to see how when you decide to try something like
Windows 7 MCE and see what kind of sites you need to go to in
order to get things like plugins and codec packs.

It really puts the whole Apple walled garden with the
iPad into perspective. You have these sites that look really
disreputable with all sorts of little sort of HTML landmines
and are generally ugly and scary looking and hard to deal with.

That's before you get stuff downloaded and try to install
it.

Package managers have me spoiled.

It's 2010. Why bother with the Brand X mentality?

I like simple package managers. A handful of shell scripts.

[deletia]

Macs don't have the malware to deal with but they have their
own odd corporate culture to deal with.

I have used Macs a couple of times. Seemed like Windows to me.
But then, KDE and Gnome, et al, seem like Windows to me.

Sid

Then you're either an idiot or blind. I cant figure out. I suspect an
idiot who is trying to promote himself as a hard core cli jockey.

By your reckoning ANYTHING with a GUI is "like Windows".

Your statement is nonsense.

  • Re: Ping: Rotten Apple
    ... So who is the bigger idiot, ... I can't comment on Windows, as I rarely use it, but I ... Mac is superior, and at times, would ... I can't afford *any* computer right now. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Ping: Rotten Apple
    ... So who is the bigger idiot, ... MBP), and Leopard on a G5 iMac, and I rarely see the "spinning ... I can't comment on Windows, as I rarely use it, but I ... Mac is superior, and at times, would ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Ping: Rotten Apple
    ... So who is the bigger idiot, ... MBP), and Leopard on a G5 iMac, and I rarely see the "spinning ... I can't comment on Windows, as I rarely use it, but I ... Hey stupid (yeah, that is you, rotten, as you've shown time and time ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Speaking of racing
    ... It's about 65 degrees here tonight and I had the windows down. ... having to explain why I had to shoot this idiot for being an idiot. ... places for 80+ mph speeds I had found. ... and let him blow by the troopers. ...
    (rec.motorcycles.dirt)