Linux on an (old) Lifebook?

Hi All,

I 've been given a little Fujitsu B110 (Pentium/233 MMX with (now) 64M
of RAM and a 4G hdd) to check out. Its currently running W98 and it
seems to be ok but I was wondering if it could run a more up_to_date
Linux?

I'm currently getting used to Linux via Ubuntu / Mint but I'm not sure
it would run wither with a Gnome desktop but I'd like something that
installs / runs as automagically as possible.

The next problem is whilst it has a PCMCIA CD drive (and FDD) it
doesn't seem to be able to boot from the CD or USB, making trying
'LiveCDs' a bit more complicated (I was going to try Puppy or
similar).

I /could/ take the drive out and install something on another machine
but that's a bit more faff than this experiment is worth.

All ideas welcome. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

  • Re: Linux on an (old) Lifebook?
    ... Its currently running W98 and it ... I'm currently getting used to Linux via Ubuntu / Mint but I'm not sure ... installs / runs as automagically as possible. ... To run Linux on that machine you'll need a distribution such as Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: Customized Debian - Was: What are some common problems when using Debian GNU / LINUX?
    ... I've got much more than four installs on my machine. ... The reason for having tons of Linux installs is, ... Since Linux can't show the partitions inside the BSD slice, ... my setup is seen by FreeBSD: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: XP Boot Peculiarity
    ... installs and so forth. ... I move the jumper from 'Master with Slave' to Cable Select. ... I changed the jumper from 'Cable Select' to 'Master with Slave'. ... Presumably your WD 300 GB HDD is a PATA, not a SATA HDD, right? ...
  • Re: XP Boot Peculiarity
    ... installs and so forth. ... I move the jumper from 'Master with Slave' to Cable Select. ... I changed the jumper from 'Cable Select' to 'Master with Slave'. ... Presumably your WD 300 GB HDD is a PATA, not a SATA HDD, right? ...
  • Re: I request inclusion of reiser4 in the mainline kernel
    ... >>because they had too much dignity to develop a filesystem for Linux. ... Uh, no, it ran all the DOS applications better than DOS did. ... We need the mass testing. ... "new installs", it was very intentional. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)