nfs problem - solved, but comments appreciated

Hi all

I have just upgraded a workstation from Fedora 10 to Fedora 14. I did
not upgrade 'in situ', I saved the data, took a clean HDD, installed
Fedora 14, and restored the data.

There are always a few pitfalls to overcome, which I accept. However,
I have just spent several hours with a problem that I eventually
solved, but according to the documentation should not have been a
problem in the first place, so I thought I would mention it here and
see what feedback I get.

The workstation has to act as an nfs client, mounting a directory
exported by an ancient machine running the old Redhat Version 9. It
worked fine with Fedora 10. I set up Fedora 14, and constantly got
'Connection timeout', which I then discovered was caused by
'Connection refused'.

I eventually found out that the problem is that Fedora 14 uses nfs
version 4, while the server appears to use version 3. The 'fix' was to
add 'nfsvers=3' to the options in /etc/fstab. However, according to
'man nfs', the client negotiates a suitable version with the server,
trying version 4 first, version 3 second, and version 2 last. In my
case, it seems that this did not happen.

Any comments will be welcome.

Frank Millman
.