nfs problem - solved, but comments appreciated

Hi all

I have just upgraded a workstation from Fedora 10 to Fedora 14. I did
not upgrade 'in situ', I saved the data, took a clean HDD, installed
Fedora 14, and restored the data.

There are always a few pitfalls to overcome, which I accept. However,
I have just spent several hours with a problem that I eventually
solved, but according to the documentation should not have been a
problem in the first place, so I thought I would mention it here and
see what feedback I get.

The workstation has to act as an nfs client, mounting a directory
exported by an ancient machine running the old Redhat Version 9. It
worked fine with Fedora 10. I set up Fedora 14, and constantly got
'Connection timeout', which I then discovered was caused by
'Connection refused'.

I eventually found out that the problem is that Fedora 14 uses nfs
version 4, while the server appears to use version 3. The 'fix' was to
add 'nfsvers=3' to the options in /etc/fstab. However, according to
'man nfs', the client negotiates a suitable version with the server,
trying version 4 first, version 3 second, and version 2 last. In my
case, it seems that this did not happen.

Any comments will be welcome.

Frank Millman

  • Re: Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!)
    ... When you update Fedora ... I am well aware of libraries. ... During ANY update you do on your F10 ... just *one* application which requires an upgrade (which is not totally ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Feature Proposal: Rolling Updates (was Re: WHY I WANT TO STOP USING FEDORA!!!)
    ... When you update Fedora ... During ANY update you do on your F10 ... system libraries are affected. ... If you update just *one* application which requires an upgrade of a library, you break every application which needed the old library as it was. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: what has yum update done?
    ... A VM is very different from the computer for which an upgrade is ... two identical computers around so they can upgrade? ... Do you realise that you live in a world most users of Fedora and most ... Are you trying to show that when I'm looking for reliability, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: New to Fedora
    ... > I used to run Red Hat 6,7,8,9, but have not ran Fedora as of yet. ... "upgrade" of your system. ... you can download a small boot.iso medium and do a "network install". ... pointing the utilities to the new version repositories and then running ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Escaping
    ... >that would upgrade all of the software on my system. ... I get Fedora security notifications in my email, ... It's a bit different when new versions of a Linux distribution are ... updates, ...
    (Fedora)