Re: FTP Access

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:02:21 -0800, ExecMan wrote:

Hi,

I need some help. I am running CentOS 5.x. I have disabled FTP and
only allow SSH / SFTP. I would like to prevent certain users from
going outside their home directories. So, when a given user logs in to
transfer files, or SSH's in, they are contained to their home directory
tree only.

Not sure about CentOS, I'm using Debian, but I suspect that it will be
similar...

On Debian:

Depends what you want to allow.
SCP/SFTP has a built-in chroot that you can use - pretty painless.

However, if you want to allow SSH, then it gets a lot more complicated.
I used a customised version of this:

http://www.fuschlberger.net/programs/ssh-scp-sftp-chroot-jail/

Regards
JohnT

  • Re: FTP Access
    ... I am running CentOS 5.x. ... going outside their home directories. ... Not sure about CentOS, I'm using Debian, but I suspect that it will be similar... ... However, if you want to allow SSH, then it gets a lot more complicated. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: ssh communication issue
    ... But, when we ssh from the internet, there are long pauses where i/o is not displayed/echoed to the screen on our Debian servers. ... Are you coming from machines that don't have proper reverse DNS entries on the new Debian machines, whereas the old SCO machine has a proper reverse DNS entry?) ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video
    ... >>> If I want to another linux box connect to the Debian box using ssh, ... I see the ssh has ... >>> already in the debian box, but I guess it is the ssh client, not sshd. ... reinstall or better purge and install to recreate all missing config ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: ssh verso macchine virtuali Parallels
    ... pur avendo cercato di far funzionare tutto, non mi riesce di usare SSH ... da una macchina virtuale Linux Debian su Parallels. ... la Debian viene vista dal Mac stesso come collegata su 10.211.55.13 ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)
  • Re: Install Debian 4.0 to watch DVD video
    ... >>> before and has no problem to network connection. ... I did mean to use dhcp. ... Not sure why doesn't work in Debian. ... I see the ssh has ...
    (Debian-User)