Re: RHEL/CentOS compatible, DOD grade disk scrubber tool desired

On 2011-02-14, David W. Hodgins <dwhodgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:20:28 -0500, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm dealing with a whole stack of disks to decommission, to "DOD

There is no such thing.

If you really want to destroy them-- shred them, and then heat the scrap to
about 700C.

I would expect that to require destruction of the media, or at least
electromagnetic bulk erasing, including all timing marks.

Bulk erasing is useless. The remnance of disks is far too high (on
purpose) You cannot make the field high enough to collapse a domain.
But heat will do it ( heat to above the ferromagnetic transition and all
the domains will be gone).

Is there a Linux compatible tool out there that someone can recommend
for use from a bootable CD image for these systems?

a Linux compatible fire?

If you really really want to reuse the disk, just overwrite it once with
anything-- including all nulls . Modern disks squeeze every last ounce
of information content out of the disks-- if there really were a way
that 01 (0 now, 1 previously) were differnt from 00 (0 now 0 previously), they would use that
difference to store information on the disk.

That old disks did have a detectable difference between 0 now and 1 or 0
perviously was because they were at a pretty unsophisticated part of the
development cycle. Why do you think we now have terrabytes on disks much
smaller than a 10MB disk 15 years ago? redundant information ( except
that purposely built in in order to pretty high order error correction)
is pretty hard to find on the disks now, as I understand it.

Ie, if the data is sensitive enough to worry about unknown ways of
retrieving it from an erased disk, then destroy it, and heat it to
destroy all the magnetic domains. If it is not that sensitive, just
overwrite it.

I'd just go with "dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/fd0 bs=4096", to overwrite
the floppy. Repeat as many times as you are willing to wait for.

Agree. but
Floppy? Was he referring to floppies? I thought it was hard disks.
floppies burn nicely. Just burn them.

Replace fd0 with hda, or sda, as appropriate, if you are referring
to hard drives.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

  • Re: CHanged rear discs and pads .. are my discs binding ?
    ... I wore the coating off the discs and gave it a feel, just to feel what a new discs just peeled felt like. ... The heat level was touchable best described as roughly setting 4 on a standard iron as a rough guide. ... As you obviously know, the disks and pads convert the cars kinetic energy, directly into heat, to slow you down. ... If you are still unsure - drive the car a few miles, let the car come to a stop without need to use the brakes at all then check the disks. ...
    (uk.rec.cars.maintenance)
  • Re: Seagate hybrid disk
    ... Whatever the power consumption is, that's the heat output. ... But then mechanical 2.5" disks use about* the same amount of power as 3.5" disks when doing similar tasks: ... and that 800W fan heater makes things ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Solaris 8 in a SPARCstation 20---Partition size questions
    ... he stays away from the 10krpm disks. ... I dont say that it's running cool, but it can stand the heat pretty well.. ... but ofcoz it's a matter of very personal opinions of the sysadmin:) ...
    (comp.sys.sun.hardware)
  • Re: How do you destroy a CD disk ?
    ... backup files. ... Now I would like to destroy them and make sure nobody can ... read these disks and possibly discover bank account numbers and other ... The data layer is just underneath the top surface. ...
    (soc.retirement)
  • Re: How do you destroy a CD disk ?
    ... have filled up several CD-R disks with various bits of information and ... Now I would like to destroy them and make sure nobody can ... read these disks and possibly discover bank account numbers and other ... don't see how damaging the plastic coating would destroy the pits. ...
    (soc.retirement)