Re: Problems installing Linux distributions from Live CD's

By way of an update, I purchased a new DVD drive, but of an interesting type:
it's a SATA drive with an PATA interface, so it "looks" like a PATA drive to
the operating system. I've had NO problems reading LiveCD's with that, and the
drive is listed in the OS (Linux or Windows, the computer is dual-boot) as a
PATA drive. This makes me think that, contrary to David's comments, the
LiveCD's are pefectly capable of reading PATA drives. To "ice the cake," I'm
going to borrow or purchase an inexpensive true-PATA drive and see what
happens. I'll keep the thread posted on what happens, but right now, my sense
is that weird problem I've experienced of a DVD drive working fine with
installed OS' but not with LiveCD's or LiveDVD's seems at least partially like
a weird hardware feature, although I suppose it's possible that, some
PATA drives could work better with a LiveCD/DVD-resident SATA driver than
others, and the fact that I'm working with a SATA drive with a PATA adapter
could be a partial reason why that seems to be the case.

Jeff

  • Re: 2.6.33: libata issues with VIA SATA/PATA controller
    ... 00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, ... Both drives are jumpered to force 1.5 Gbps SATA speed. ... The PATA interface has a tape drive attached as primary master and a CD ... The 2.6.33.2 I have tried to boot today is configured to use libata VIA PATA ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: How to format a 3" drive without a laptop?
    ... PATA HDD had failed. ... (Please don't tell me just to get a newer laptop. ... Is the problem that the drive is only connected by a USB adapter?? ... PATA drives that already have data. ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Linux distro suggestions for a 1/2 meg P4
    ... Internal floppy and ZIP drives. ... Burner needs replaced with a new PATA. ... where the comp will be located. ... Internet is DSL with WIFI modem. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: sata to pata adapters on p4c800
    ... > sata and one pata. ... However I don;t want to buy new drives is worth getting ... If you buy an adapter, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: PATA - native, or SATA with adapter?
    ... In some cases I am seeing SATA drives cheaper than the equivalent PATA ... "Minimum of 2MB Cache with maximum of 16MB Cache" ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)