Re: cannot boot ubuntu12.04 from CD (must mount partitions to recover data + reinstall windows 7 + ubuntu 12.04).
- From: Bobbie Sellers <bliss-sf4ever@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 16:36:45 -0700
On 05/14/2012 02:45 PM, John Goche wrote:
I've had a windows + linux ubuntu 11.04 dual boot sony vaio laptop.
Everything was working fine until one day my windows 7
got a virus so I could only boot into Linux. The virus was
damaging my hard drive so I did not keep booting into
windows 7 any longer. One day I decided to reinstall
windows 7 from the hard disk windows 7 reinstallation
that came with the laptop (unfortunately I was not wise
enough to burn a windows 7 reinstallation cd before I got
After I tried to restore windows 7 now when I boot the
computer I get a grub> prompt with an error message
error: no such partition.
grub rescue> _
this is all I get. I don't know how to fix the problem.
I tried burning an ubuntu 12.04 CD from another
older vaio windows vista laptop at 10x speed
using a program called InfraRecorder. Such CD
works fine on this older laptop, but when I try
to boot the CD on the newer laptop it starts
to boot, but then the hard drive kicks in and
the CD stops. This is bad because I wanted
to back up my possibly lost data by booting
ubuntu from cd and mounting the relevant
partitions with the data and copying that
data to a usb stick.
So, anyone got any idea of how I can proceed.
1. I need to access the data, hopefully the
windows recovery program did not delete
my linux partition from the dual boot when
I told it to reformat (windows).
2. To access the data I need to boot from
a Linux CD.
Various machines use differing Function
keys to access the BIOS as the startup screens
flash by. Try them starting with F1 at startup.
This is while the BIOS is loading. On my Compaq
desktop I believe F9 or F10 accesses the drive
boot order so that I can change the setting to
boot from a Live CD or DVD to look at the new
What will you save the accessed data
to? A USB-HD or Flash drive.
3. I need to reinstall windows 7 and restore
my dual boot ubuntu 12.04 + windows 7
like it was before.
When you have the data copied use the
Live CD or DVD to run checks on the hard disk.
Use whichever partition editor to check
for the partitions on the hard drive. Don't try
to change anything until you are ready for the
re-install. On my old machines I could recover
the Linux partitions when I screwed up an install.
But Windows had to be re-installed first. So
get the data off before you start the process.
Some Live CDs might have CLAV available
to scan for the Windows Virus on the NTFS partition
Many many thanks for your help,
- Prev by Date: cannot boot ubuntu12.04 from CD (must mount partitions to recover data + reinstall windows 7 + ubuntu 12.04).
- Next by Date: PPP Failing to start on Boot up!
- Previous by thread: cannot boot ubuntu12.04 from CD (must mount partitions to recover data + reinstall windows 7 + ubuntu 12.04).
- Next by thread: Re: cannot boot ubuntu12.04 from CD (must mount partitions to recover data + reinstall windows 7 + ubuntu 12.04).