Weird problem in Xf86 under new install

From: Tux (sdaman_at_mindspring.com)
Date: 08/29/03

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:45:50 GMT

I'm pretty new to running linux at home, tried it twice before but the
install either wiped out windows, or didn't work, etc.

Anyways, I did it again, this time with a laptop, and everything went
smoothly during the first 90% of the install. It is a Toshiba Satellite I
inherited from my brother, and ran fine under Windows 98 (fine for windows,
I mean, crashing 2x a day)

The problem arose when I configured X. I went in to configure the
resolution, etc. under the Mandrake 9.1 installer (from ISO's I just
downloaded.) It worked fine, using the latest ver. of XF86 (4.3?) except
that the mouse didn't show up as a mouse, but as two horizontal bars of
static (about 2x the size that a windows 160x160 cursor is) overlayed on
the screen. This was a bit weird, but I clicked through and let in install.
Once I got into X, running KDE, it started the static deal again, but this
time the mouse was fine, just there was a bar of static about 1/2 an inch
tall, right above the tasklist bar. I can make out about 1/2 of what it
says underneath the bar, because it only fuzzes a little bit, but I'm not
sure what caused it. When scrolling, sometimes the fuzz will creep up with
the text or moving window, and frequently flashes when rapidly updating the
screen, but when the mouse moves over buttons or highlights text, so that
it must be re-drawn, it goes back to normal (so I'm 99% sure it isn't
hardware.) The mouse, however, is normal, and looks normal over the fuzzy
bar at the bottom. I chose the default window manager under the install,
but do not know what it was, or how to check. If this is needed, I would be
happy to oblige, but I'd need to know how.

Anyways, other than this, so far so good, and I'm very satisfied with my new
tank that all of you by the side of the road kept on yelling at me about!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me,

David