My Opinion on GNOME

From: Google Mike (googlemike_at_hotpop.com)
Date: 02/01/04

Date: 1 Feb 2004 12:27:34 -0800

At first, I saw GNOME, saw the lack of tools in RH8 versus the ones in
KDE, so I switched to KDE as the default. Then, RH9 came out, and RH
just about put the same amount of tools in GNOME as they did KDE.
Plus, GNOME had a cleaner appearance for me. I also wanted to back the
GUI that RH, the leader in Linux sales, was backing as their default.
I figured that it was risky to go with KDE in the long run, and that
many of those apps would go GNOME or at least GTK+. (Perhaps we'll all
be lucky and GNOME will merge with KDE, ending the dispute.)

Okay, fast-forward to now, here in February 2004. Suse was a big KDE
advocate, but now that Novell has acquired Suse, and because they
already have considerable investment in Ximian's GNOME-based desktop,
it's an easy guess that Suse will switch their desktop default to
Ximian's GNOME-based desktop as the default. That's an incredible
boost for "GNOME-count".

I used to use several KDE apps until I became just as pleased with
either the GTK or GNOME equivalents. I was stuck on KMail for email
and Quanta+ for web development. But then Mozilla Thunderbird was far
superior than KMail on Linux, so I switched to that. Thunderbird is
X-based like Mozilla. That now just leaves Quanta+, which, even
through some of its quirks, still is my favorite web editor for PHP
code (although Bluefish is starting to ratchet up as a competitor).

Therefore, my opinion is that the years 2004 and 2005 will be
fantastic years for GNOME, and perhaps not so for KDE.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Fedora Present and Future: a Fedora.next 2014 Update (Part I, =?utf-8?B?4oCcV2h5P+KAnSk=?=
    ... Now someone tell me how I get virtual desktops with gnome or kde to ... which I can switch by just moving the mouse pointer over the edge of the ... How do I get a pager as I have with fvwm with gnome or kde? ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: From KDE to GNOME. Experiences, suggestions and comments
    ... So this is not a case of being fed up with KDE. ... I just decided to try out GNOME for a change. ... To the app, it makes no ... There is a menu called "Tabs", but it does not contain "New ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: OT: Ist Windows schoen und idiotensicher?
    ... sowohl Gnome, als auch KDE, als auch fvwm, als auch xfce usw. ... ein nacktes X11 Fenster hat keinen Rahmen und man kann es auch nicht ... ohne komplett auf Lunix umsteigen zu müssen... ...
    (de.etc.fahrzeug.auto)
  • Re: Why not?
    ... complain that it isn't Gnome. ... made easier to switch, but I see no reason to change the default. ... What a shame, too, because using various WMs is such a treat. ... For KDE and GNOME /not/ to have that availability looks suspiciously ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: From KDE to GNOME. Experiences, suggestions and comments
    ... for ~4 years now and KDE for ~1 year. ... I've also tried PekWM, Gnome, IceWM, XFce, WindowMaker, Ion2 and some ... To the app, it makes no ... There is a menu called "Tabs", but it does not contain "New ...
    (GNOME)