devoloping programs under xfree86

From: Steven Spencer (spenceee_at_bigpond.net.au)
Date: 02/05/04

Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 13:27:46 GMT

Hi guys, noob looking for wisdom.

I am devoloping, lets say a custom system which has a very specific purpose,
(mp3 player), and load time must be kept to an absolute minimum. This
system will basically boot the kernel, load the file system and run X. But
I don't wish to wait for gnome/kde to load, because i have no reason
whatsoever to use it, i simply wish to have a graphical environment which
runs one program full screen. I wish to use X for the established library
functions, video driver support and most importantly touch screen support.

I would ask for opinions for the best way of doing this. Is it possible to
run a program from the second the system boots into X? with no window
manager whatsoever, just one program that runs when i start X? Remember
that load time is an absolute neccessity!!!!