Re: Linux has a long way to go before it becomes the major OS

From: NeoSadist (neosad1st_at_charter.net)
Date: 02/16/04

Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:48:13 -0700

-J-C- wrote:

> http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=reutersEdge&storyID=4181071

> Now, if only they could get the word processor's basic "cut and paste"
> feature to work.

Mine works fine, as you can tell...

> Even some of its biggest proponents admit that Linux has a long way to go
> before it can mount a credible alternative to Microsoft Windows, the
> world's dominant software operating system

1) Who said we want to become the dominant OS?
2) Who said we want to compete with Windows? We are an alternative to
Windows, and for those wanting open-source, programming experience, a very
customizable OS, a more secure OS, or a more stable OS, we are already
"winning".

But in terms of competing toe-to-toe with Windows, we have a way to go, but
not a long way by the looks of KDE 3.2....

> MAKING MICROSOFT WORK ON LINUX

Uh, no, in my opinion that's NOT what we need. Either use Linux or Windows.
True, right now one can't use Adobe Illustrator on Linux, but that might
change. True, most games don't run on Linux (but I need to stop wasting my
time playing them). But I think that cross-platform stuff like that is a
waste of time. Use Linux for its strengths, use Windows for what you can't
use Linux for. Right now, as an average home user, I have no problem using
Linux for my stuff. But then again I'm one voice out of, say, one million
Linux users?

> CodeWeavers has created an innovative program called CrossOver Office.
> Users can run standard Windows programs like Office, Internet Explorer,
> Lotus Notes and Photoshop on Linux PCs with no special effort and few if
> any detectable glitches.

Why anyone would want to run IE on a Linux machine is beyond me, when
Netscape and Mozilla, standards-compliant browsers, run just fine. IE has
way too many security holes right now to be worth the time.

But anyways, this article is old (21 JAN 2004) and the point has long been
discussed. I say Linux try to be its own thing -- I'm already VERY happy
with Slackware-current, and Windows can't beat it (in my opinion).

--
If you just try long enough and hard enough, you can always manage to
boot yourself in the posterior.