Equivalent of su for GUI?

From: OKB (not okblacke) (BrenBarn_at_aol.com)
Date: 07/07/04

    Date: 7 Jul 2004 02:49:16 GMT

                I've just installed Debian on a cheap old computer and I'm fiddling
    around with it. One thing that I find somewhat irritating is having to
    switch out from X to a virtual terminal or run an Xterm, where I must
    then su if I want to do admin stuff. Is there any way to achieve an
    effect similar to su, but gain root privs within the X session? That
    is, I would like to be able to do something so that when I, say, double-
    click on some /etc file in Konqueror and it opens in Kwrite, I will have
    write privs. I want to gain the ability to do superuser things from
    within my existing X session, in the same GUI way I would do them as a
    normal user.

                I've asked some people and they said there's no such thing, but I
    thought I would ask here anyway. (I'm really rather surprised; it seems
    silly to have to always have an Xterm open just to edit text files when
    you've got the whole GUI up.) I was able to hack a semi-solution by
    writing a Konqueror servicemenu that does 'kdesu "kfmclient exec %u"',
    but that only works for the specific case of double-clicking files in
    Konqueror, and even that doesn't work completely. Ideally, I'd like a
    solution that's as complete as su.

                Thanks for the help.

    --
    --OKB (not okblacke)
    Brendan Barnwell

    • Re: Equivalent of su for GUI?
      ... but gain root privs within the X session? ... > you've got the whole GUI up.) ... > Konqueror, and even that doesn't work completely. ...
      (comp.os.linux.x)
    • Re: Equivalent of su for GUI?
      ... > switch out from X to a virtual terminal or run an Xterm, ... but gain root privs within the X session? ... > you've got the whole GUI up.) ... > Konqueror, and even that doesn't work completely. ...
      (comp.os.linux.x)
    • Re: Squeeze and root in graphical mode
      ... I run Konqueror as root for some file maniplulations on files which are ... login into a KDE session as root. ... Sure, GUI has some advantages. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: how useful is CLI and Unix understanding of MacOSX?
      ... When I first moved to the Mac, the GUI was actually quite secondary to ... to the system font size & not readable on my 22 in monitor; ... could not be changed so that the CLI in xterm is useless. ...
      (comp.sys.mac.system)
    • Re: How to spot an orphan in VMS
      ... familiar with Unix so I cannot help describing my problem in Unix ... My client uses VMS v7.3.1 and gets a VMS session using WRQ Reflection. ... This basically gives them an xterm session. ...
      (comp.os.vms)