Re: DualScreen, 2 cards, AGP and PCI, have to boot from PCI?

From: Dieter Soltau (sprockhoevel_at_web.de)
Date: 08/28/04

Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:55:14 +0200

Craig Bergren wrote:

> Damn babelfish, I was going to use falsch, but I wanted to sound more
> sophisticated.
yeah - i know exactly how it feels ;)

>> and PCI card at 0:11.0 !!! lspci shows it fine, but *I* see nothing on
>> the *monitor*. the PCI card is simply not initialized or whatever. pci
>> card monitorLED keeps flashing. there is no input from the card.
>
> This indicates to me that the BIOS isn't initializing the card
exactly, this is what i guess as well, thats why i asked in my 1st article
if it could be a bios problem. though, i doubt epox will fix it because it
is pretty outdated anyway.

>perhaps we can get X to do this for you.
hmm, lets see ;)

> You may still want to try changing slots, it couldn't hurt.
did it this afternoon but nothing changed, except the busid ofcourse.

>> if i connect my AGP only, EVERYTHING is working as expected. no problems
>> whatsoever.
>>
>> if i add my PCI card, BOTH are seen. AGP 1:0:0, PCI 0:b:0. if i boot
>> from AGP, i see the bootprocedure on the AGP, nothing on PCI. then X
>> starts, i am still on AGP and see nothing on PCI. NOTHING, not in
>> normal, not in xinerama mode! now i press ALT-F1 to get a tty, and this
>> is NOWHERE. not on my AGP and neither on my PCI. i press ALT-F7 again,
>> and X is back on AGP.
>
> What happens when you boot ohne X? Run level 3, vielicht?
i have my ttys on the AGP - just as it should be, no problem. of course i
see nothing on PCI but this is normal, i havent started X. the ttys go away
as soon as i start X.

> Is there anything interesting the the /var/log/Xorg.* logs?
uhm, will have a look at those tomorrow. i just have a huge compile process
running. thanks for your help sofar!
i'll try booting from AGP again tomorrow, and post the results here.

have a nice weekend,
dieter

Relevant Pages

  • Re: USB flash drives and graphics cards
    ... got no idea what it is but it seems that her existing graphics card isn't ... I think she currently has some sort of AGP card in her machine but can ... Fortunately, the FX5200 is available in AGP and PCI versions, so if there ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Any New Asus Boards With An AGP Slot?
    ... cards and I don't want to spring for a new card. ... Intel is fully committed to PCI Express, ... AGP well, and some manufacturers still seem to have some ... ULI has a chipset pair uses on an Asrock board, ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: 939 m/b advice recommends
    ... Added GeForce 6600 AGP graphics. ... Creative PCI soundcard and a Firewire ... ill get a used pci graphics card the best used one i can afford i have ... The GA-K8N Ultra-9 has a PCI Express video card slot. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Graphics Upgrade
    ... Do you guys know whether the card is compatible with my current system? ... Your motherboard picture, doesn't have a motherboard name :-) ... AGP in that generation, was AGP4X running ... slow PCI connectors. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dont send me to a Win Usenet
    ... a Mac, everything is a breeze, one can see easily if there is a PCI and/or AGP card installed from system profiler. ... My daughter has one and I should get her a new display card to run an LCD someone else has given her. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)