Re: Development question...

From: Graham (graham_at_monstermunch.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 09/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:42:40 +0100

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Graham wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Can anyone point me in the right direction...?
    >>I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system
    >>i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx
    >>library), but my searching has been in vain, either I'm not searching
    >>correctly or its well hidden :(
    >>
    >>I thought there would be a API reference or soething available
    >

    > Actually, there are /many/ API references available, for both low-level and
    > high-level development.
    >
    > At the low-level end, you have the X protocol, and (slightly above it), the
    > xlib API. Next up from them are APIs like the X Toolkit Intrinsics,followed by
    > Xt and Athena widgets. After that, you have APIs like Motif, GTK+, and QT. And
    > above these, there are APIs like the GNOME and KDE environment APIs.
    >
    > What's your pleasure?
    >

    >>but ...
    >>cant find it...
    >

    > http://www.pconline.com/~erc/xprog.htm
    >
    > http://tronche.com/gui/x/
    > http://www.the-labs.com/X11/XLib-Manual/
    > http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/xlib-programming/xlib-programming.html
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/index.html
    >
    > http://www.lesstif.org/links.html
    >
    > http://www.gtk.org/
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/
    >
    > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/
    > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/
    >

    >>Help me anyone...?
    >

    > - --
    > Lew Pitcher
    >
    > Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | GPG public key available on request
    > Registered Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)
    > Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing.

    Thanks for the links...
    I'd been searching for "x programming" rather than "x windows
    programming" which didn't help.
    Im new to linux programming, having learned a bit of game programming
    under the win32 API, but I got itchy feet and wanted to try some Linux
    programming. I could of used SDL or some other high level API, but I
    want to try and learn some of the underlying technology, so I can get a
    better understanding of the OS, and X.
    Thanks again for the links, now I have somewhere to start learning :)

    Graham