Re: Development question...

From: Graham (graham_at_monstermunch.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 09/23/04

    Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:42:40 +0100

    Lew Pitcher wrote:

    > Graham wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Can anyone point me in the right direction...?
    >>I'm looking for help on writing code on programming the X windows system
    >>i.e Creating windows, handling messages etc.(also going to try the glx
    >>library), but my searching has been in vain, either I'm not searching
    >>correctly or its well hidden :(
    >>
    >>I thought there would be a API reference or soething available
    >

    > Actually, there are /many/ API references available, for both low-level and
    > high-level development.
    >
    > At the low-level end, you have the X protocol, and (slightly above it), the
    > xlib API. Next up from them are APIs like the X Toolkit Intrinsics,followed by
    > Xt and Athena widgets. After that, you have APIs like Motif, GTK+, and QT. And
    > above these, there are APIs like the GNOME and KDE environment APIs.
    >
    > What's your pleasure?
    >

    >>but ...
    >>cant find it...
    >

    > http://www.pconline.com/~erc/xprog.htm
    >
    > http://tronche.com/gui/x/
    > http://www.the-labs.com/X11/XLib-Manual/
    > http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/xlib-programming/xlib-programming.html
    > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/v1/index.html
    >
    > http://www.lesstif.org/links.html
    >
    > http://www.gtk.org/
    > http://doc.trolltech.com/
    >
    > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/libglade/
    > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/
    >

    >>Help me anyone...?
    >

    > - --
    > Lew Pitcher
    >
    > Master Codewright & JOAT-in-training | GPG public key available on request
    > Registered Linux User #112576 (http://counter.li.org/)
    > Slackware - Because I know what I'm doing.

    Thanks for the links...
    I'd been searching for "x programming" rather than "x windows
    programming" which didn't help.
    Im new to linux programming, having learned a bit of game programming
    under the win32 API, but I got itchy feet and wanted to try some Linux
    programming. I could of used SDL or some other high level API, but I
    want to try and learn some of the underlying technology, so I can get a
    better understanding of the OS, and X.
    Thanks again for the links, now I have somewhere to start learning :)

    Graham

    • Re: CreatePatternBrush(), brush in multiline editbox + scroll?
      ... MORE important in raw Win32 API programming than it is in MFC. ... Note that raw API programming is a really difficult way to write code. ...
      (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.gdi)
    • Re: The Dolphin Brief
      ... proprietary API (like Dolphin) ... The API is the only access point to it... ... Does tha mean I can not do any Win API programming under Vista? ... adhered to standards, and evolved them further. ...
      (comp.lang.smalltalk.dolphin)
    • Re: Slider Bar in eVB?
      ... > answer "your solution is in CreateWindowEx API Call, ... questioners level of programming skills to be. ... do xxx and yyy, but cant find the API way to accomplish zzz", then the asker ... > Assembler" just can be a final word of a argue. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded.vb)
    • Re: x window programming
      ... >> API is is analogous to programming at the assembly language level. ... You can download the source code examples from the O'Reilly ...
      (comp.os.linux.development.apps)
    • Re: How to open a Reviewing toolbar
      ... What is the api that i need to call and what parameters ... written for the native programming language. ... the object model Help files. ... New Macro). ...
      (microsoft.public.office.developer.automation)