dvi cabling again!

lew_at_csus_abcdefg.edu
Date: 12/16/04

Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:05:35 -0600

I got a LG L1930B lcd monitor a couple of days ago & it works very well
with an analog cable. Switched to a DVI-D cable & linux has a problem.

The system has a Matrox G550 & running SuSE 9.2 with their 2.6.8-24.5
kernel.

Getting to X works but crashes when getting out; also don't think the
problem is with X (xorg 6.8.1) as the initial splash screen also goes
crazy which may imply a problem with graphics in general?

Is it also an ncurses problem?

At first I thought it was a problem with doing 24 bit X but problems
remain using 16 bit X config.

All is well when using the old reliable analog vga cable. So is the
kernel not doing something well with digital signals?

WinXP has not encountered any problem with the switch to the DVI-D
cable, only linux or just SuSE 9.2.

Have read about DVI cabling problems in the newsgroup but no solution
appears to have been found &/or *acknowledged*.