screen goes black

From: Charles Rogers (spamitup_at_spammer.com)
Date: 12/20/04

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:46:51 -0600

While I am busy doing stuff on my computer, every now and then the screen
goes black and then my monitor displays its hardware "I'm going into suspend
mode" screen like it does when the DPMS suspend time is reached. I wiggle
the mouse and the screen returns to normal, but it's kind of annoying when
it blacks out like that.

I'm using X11R6 7.0 from Xorg.org. My xset values are:

Screensaver:

prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes

timeout: 480 cycle: 0

DPMS (Energy Star):

Standby: 0 Suspend: 1200 Off: 0

DPMS is Enabled

Monitor is On

So, it isn't supposed to go into suspend mode until the keyboard and mouse
have been inactive for 20 minutes. And in general, the screensaver and DPMS
options work like they're supposed to. But several times a day, it tries to
go into suspend mode while I'm busy at the keyboard.

Is this a known problem, perhaps with a way to fix it?

Thanks,

Chaz

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Screen blanker & Mouse
    ... when DPMS turns off the signal to the monitor? ... The screen already goes black, and later DPMS is used, without running ... another screensaver, so running another screensaver that turns the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] Screensaver problem
    ... screen saver. ... And unless you really need your monitor to stay on, ... In fact, I usually set the screensaver to run for two minutes, then power off the monitor using dpms. ... Maybe you have the settings wrong somewhere and off-mode kicks in at the same time as the screensaver. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Keeping the monitor turned on
    ... I'm thinking that when the screensaver triggers it can change the settings and invalidate them. ... I say that because I enabled dpms, then when away for some time. ... Monitor is On ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] 10.1 Screensaver Displays
    ... there are about a hundred screensaver displays. ... Usually it's the DPMS, I believe, that puts the monitor in sleep mode. ... setting DPMS under the monitor settings does SFA- ... asking me if I had a powersave utility running prompted me to go into Control Centre and check if any daemons were running. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Password Protect XP
    ... > screensaver or having a user setup with a password The reason I am ... Hibernate modes. ... The network connection might get disabled in Standby ... and Suspend mode, ...