Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com.urgent)
Date: 04/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400

On 19 Apr 2005 04:36:56 -0700, jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es
  <jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my local machine (llamas.hi.inet: Linux FC3):
>
> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$
>
> On the remote machine:
>
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > export DISPLAY=llamas.hi.inet:0.0
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > xclock
> Error: Can't open display: llamas.hi.inet:0.0
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > ping -s llamas.hi.inet
> PING llamas.hi.inet: 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=0. time=0. ms
> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=1. time=1. ms
> ^C
> ----llamas.hi.inet PING Statistics----
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
> round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/0/1
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss >
>
> Any hint ?

I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work, you
need to be sure that your X server is started without the
"-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file

Relevant Pages

  • Re: RMI connection refused
    ... clients do Registry.lookup. ... client and a server. ... refused to host: 127.0.0.1; nested exception is: ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: [coLinux-devel] coLinux benchmarks
    ... The host machine has a Mobile Intel ... > 5 clients started ... > dirs) 5 procs ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: NEWBIE needs help please
    ... internet while pinging, ... Pinging isp from clients when connected always led to same value ... that pinging host from clients was reading at that time. ... ping 1480 during morning time w/o fragments, connecting to isp and pinging ...
  • MS-SQL Internet Hosting
    ... While the host management backs up one's ... utility is provided that backs up the database to one's web-server site. ... By internet enabled I mean that one, or one's clients can connect ... noticeable is the same as when connecting to a local server. ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: Troubleshooting ICS on the host - help
    ... > I have recently tried to connect a number of clients to a host PC running ... > ICS but with no success. ... > I have turned ICS on but the clients on the network are getting no response ... No connection is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)