Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Bill Marcum (bmarcum_at_iglou.com.urgent)
Date: 04/19/05

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400

On 19 Apr 2005 04:36:56 -0700, jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es
  <jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my local machine (llamas.hi.inet: Linux FC3):
>
> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$ xhost +
> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$
>
> On the remote machine:
>
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > export DISPLAY=llamas.hi.inet:0.0
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > xclock
> Error: Can't open display: llamas.hi.inet:0.0
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > ping -s llamas.hi.inet
> PING llamas.hi.inet: 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=0. time=0. ms
> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=1. time=1. ms
> ^C
> ----llamas.hi.inet PING Statistics----
> 2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
> round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/0/1
> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss >
>
> Any hint ?

I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work, you
need to be sure that your X server is started without the
"-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.

--
"I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realized that I
need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file