Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Tom Rauschenbach (tomsusenet_at_tomsdomain.org)
Date: 04/22/05

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:01:26 -0400

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:

> On 19 Apr 2005 04:36:56 -0700, jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es
> <jose_luis_fdez_diaz_news@yahoo.es> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On my local machine (llamas.hi.inet: Linux FC3):
>>
>> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$ xhost +
>> access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
>> [jdiaz@llamas ~]$
>>
>> On the remote machine:
>>
>> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > export DISPLAY=llamas.hi.inet:0.0
>> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > xclock
>> Error: Can't open display: llamas.hi.inet:0.0
>> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss > ping -s llamas.hi.inet
>> PING llamas.hi.inet: 56 data bytes
>> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=0. time=0. ms
>> 64 bytes from llamas.hi.inet (10.95.27.186): icmp_seq=1. time=1. ms
>> ^C
>> ----llamas.hi.inet PING Statistics----
>> 2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
>> round-trip (ms) min/avg/max = 0/0/1
>> opmxopge@sgbe2 : po_co_ordcorba.ss >
>>
>> Any hint ?
>>
> I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work, you
> need to be sure that your X server is started without the
> "-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
> connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.

Yeah, I found this one just yesterday. Look in
/etc/sysconfig/displaymanager for this. Now to find out how to do the ssh
X fowarding - hoping that's a FAQ too...

Relevant Pages

  • Re: SSH: remote login returns "invalid user"
    ... host mail.harlley-consultants.com ... server rather than web server? ... If they have the right server software running (mail, web, ssh daemon) then that software picks up the request. ... When you want to send mail to xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, your mail server looks up the MX record for hartley-consultants and sends it to port 25 on the machine pointed to. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • RE: Problem with X server
    ... Try tunneling everything through ssh. ... This gets around the need to use the xhost and export display settings. ... Subject: Problem with X server ... On the local host, type: ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Disable name canonicalization for OpenSSH GSSAPI
    ... The issue I'm having is with a new server ... I'm unable to setup the correct reverse ... When I attempt to connect to this host with SSH, ...
    (comp.protocols.kerberos)
  • Re: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
    ... >> That means running an ssh command on the inside host, ... >> an SSH server on the outside host. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • starting remote server(s) with ssh
    ... How can I start a server on a remote ... ssh -n -x -l user host start_server.sh ... The problem is that this keeps the ssh connection ...
    (SSH)