Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/22/05

    Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:49:48 -0500

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:01:26 -0400, Tom Rauschenbach staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    [snip]
    >> I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work,
    >> you need to be sure that your X server is started without the
    >> "-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
    >> connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.
    > Yeah, I found this one just yesterday. Look in
    > /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager for this.

    This is a Redhat-specific option. Other distros put this in other
    places; for Gentoo, it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (gdm) or
    $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers (kdm) .

    > Now to find out how to do the ssh X fowarding - hoping that's a FAQ

    The sshd running on the remote host should have the following lines in
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config :

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes

    ...then you can do this:

    user@local:~$ ssh -X remote.host
    user@remote:~$ xclient &
    (xclient runs on remote, displays on local:0)

    ...if -X doesn't work, use -Y. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

    • Re: SSH safety
      ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Simplest way to turn an excel column into a savedlist
      ... internet, where AccuTerm is LAN-based due to telnet. ... many of your clients will be reluctant to provide an ssh server ... supposing you've got a laptop you want to dial in to their system from, ...
      (comp.databases.pick)
    • Re: SSH through wireless router
      ... When you say that I should try ssh ... Connection closed by remote host ... When I went to sshd to port 2222: ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: How do I port forward through 2 remote hosts?
      ... You gave a port number. ... desktop to a remote host for many years. ... I have read through the SSH FAQ which did nothing to help me ... loss to understand what remote forwardings (as opposed to local ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: ssh
      ... the internal IPs of the router. ... ssh connection. ... access to internet from the i386, ... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! ...
      (Debian-User)