Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Dances With Crows (
Date: 04/22/05

    Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:49:48 -0500

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:01:26 -0400, Tom Rauschenbach staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work,
    >> you need to be sure that your X server is started without the
    >> "-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
    >> connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.
    > Yeah, I found this one just yesterday. Look in
    > /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager for this.

    This is a Redhat-specific option. Other distros put this in other
    places; for Gentoo, it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (gdm) or
    $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers (kdm) .

    > Now to find out how to do the ssh X fowarding - hoping that's a FAQ

    The sshd running on the remote host should have the following lines in
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config :

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes

    ...then you can do this:

    user@local:~$ ssh -X
    user@remote:~$ xclient &
    (xclient runs on remote, displays on local:0)

    ...if -X doesn't work, use -Y. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong     /                Hire me!

    • Re: SSH safety
      ... SSH safety (J.L. ... FC3 missing KDE menu items ... I was wondering how safe it is to open the ssh port up to the internet. ...
    • Re: Simplest way to turn an excel column into a savedlist
      ... internet, where AccuTerm is LAN-based due to telnet. ... many of your clients will be reluctant to provide an ssh server ... supposing you've got a laptop you want to dial in to their system from, ...
    • Re: SSH through wireless router
      ... When you say that I should try ssh ... Connection closed by remote host ... When I went to sshd to port 2222: ... debug1: read PEM private key done: type RSA ...
    • Re: How do I port forward through 2 remote hosts?
      ... You gave a port number. ... desktop to a remote host for many years. ... I have read through the SSH FAQ which did nothing to help me ... loss to understand what remote forwardings (as opposed to local ...
    • Re: ssh
      ... the internal IPs of the router. ... ssh connection. ... access to internet from the i386, ... Download and play hundreds of games for free on Yahoo! ...