Re: Newbie question: problems setting DISPLAY to X server

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/22/05

    Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:49:48 -0500

    On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:01:26 -0400, Tom Rauschenbach staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 17:33:31 -0400, Bill Marcum wrote:
    [snip]
    >> I think this is a Frequently Asked Question. For "xhost +" to work,
    >> you need to be sure that your X server is started without the
    >> "-nolisten tcp" option. You don't want to use "xhost +" on a host
    >> connected to the Internet. Use ssh X forwarding instead.
    > Yeah, I found this one just yesterday. Look in
    > /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager for this.

    This is a Redhat-specific option. Other distros put this in other
    places; for Gentoo, it's in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf (gdm) or
    $KDEDIR/share/config/kdm/Xservers (kdm) .

    > Now to find out how to do the ssh X fowarding - hoping that's a FAQ

    The sshd running on the remote host should have the following lines in
    /etc/ssh/sshd_config :

    X11Forwarding yes
    X11DisplayOffset 10
    X11UseLocalhost yes

    ...then you can do this:

    user@local:~$ ssh -X remote.host
    user@remote:~$ xclient &
    (xclient runs on remote, displays on local:0)

    ...if -X doesn't work, use -Y. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!