Re: Can't Watch Video Files Anymore...

From: Dances With Crows (danSPANceswitTRAPhcrows_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/28/05

    Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:06:56 -0500

    On 27 Apr 2005 15:10:38 -0700, cyber0ne staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > Slackware 10.0 box. I can no longer watch any video files. I'm
    > running KDE 3.2. Nothing's changed as far as I know. But now,
    > regardless of the application I'm using, videos are all black and I
    > only get the audio.

    What's reported if you try "mplayer file.avi" from a konsole? mplayer
    can report verbose error messages, and those may help.

    > I'm at a loss as to what would be causing this.

    XV problems? grep -A7 'Section "Device"' /etc/X11/xorg.conf (if you're
    not using Xorg yet, substitute XF86Config-4 or whatever) and post the
    output. You might also try setting the video out to x11 instead of xv.
    x11 should always work, though it'll consume more CPU than XV. That's
    -vo x11 in mplayer. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
    http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

    • Re: [SLE] mplayer on a dual head setup
      ... strange thing is that Avidemux plays them no problem at all. ... M-player I get sound but a blank blue video screen. ... But if I change the video output driver to x11, MPlayer is ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Firefox & video playback
      ... The 10 second intro plays and then mplayer ... video driver is being used by mplayer. ... Then try the other Video Output options. ... I use X11. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Firefox & video playback
      ... Deleted the Xine plugin and installed mplayerplug-in-3.50-0.pm.2 and get ... The 10 second intro plays and then mplayer ... video driver is being used by mplayer. ... I use X11. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Upgrading the Debian/unstable system makes mplayer run without video output
      ... > mplayer again without any errors but the problem still exists (no video). ... X11 opening display::0.0 ... Opening video decoder: ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: New Problem with Movies
      ... I can't play video with either totem or mplayer. ... I think the movie is playing, ... Audio stream found, -aid 1 ...
      (Ubuntu)