Re: strating ed2k_gui as non-root

qwejohn_at_hotmail.com
Date: 05/21/05

Date: 21 May 2005 07:55:26 -0700

Hello,

    I saw that there is an option like this:
 --noob-wants-to-run-as-root

If I am starting x as root , my question is :
does running ed2k-gui with this option
is far more dangerous than running x as root ?

Second :
As I understand, if I am running X as root
and try ssh -l qjohn -X localhost
I should have DISPLAY as 10:0

I had removed the DISPLAY=0.0;export
DISPLAY from ~.bashrc and now it is indeed localhost:10:0 after
running this ssh ; but after
ssh -l qjohn -X localhost

and running ed2k_gui
I get:
The program 'ed2k_gui' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 166 error_code 3 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
Any idea?

regards,
john

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... >the DISPLAY variable again after su'ing. ... >but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... You mean NFS, not NIS. ... mapping root to something like "nobody" for the NFS access. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Was any of the sites running a php nuke or another portal or system that is vuln ... been able to use that with a locla root exploit to gain root on the machine. ... > hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... > Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)