Re: strating ed2k_gui as non-root

qwejohn_at_hotmail.com
Date: 05/21/05

Date: 21 May 2005 07:55:26 -0700

Hello,

    I saw that there is an option like this:
 --noob-wants-to-run-as-root

If I am starting x as root , my question is :
does running ed2k-gui with this option
is far more dangerous than running x as root ?

Second :
As I understand, if I am running X as root
and try ssh -l qjohn -X localhost
I should have DISPLAY as 10:0

I had removed the DISPLAY=0.0;export
DISPLAY from ~.bashrc and now it is indeed localhost:10:0 after
running this ssh ; but after
ssh -l qjohn -X localhost

and running ed2k_gui
I get:
The program 'ed2k_gui' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 166 error_code 3 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
Any idea?

regards,
john