Re: strating ed2k_gui as non-root

qwejohn_at_hotmail.com
Date: 05/21/05

Date: 21 May 2005 07:55:26 -0700

Hello,

    I saw that there is an option like this:
 --noob-wants-to-run-as-root

If I am starting x as root , my question is :
does running ed2k-gui with this option
is far more dangerous than running x as root ?

Second :
As I understand, if I am running X as root
and try ssh -l qjohn -X localhost
I should have DISPLAY as 10:0

I had removed the DISPLAY=0.0;export
DISPLAY from ~.bashrc and now it is indeed localhost:10:0 after
running this ssh ; but after
ssh -l qjohn -X localhost

and running ed2k_gui
I get:
The program 'ed2k_gui' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)'.
  (Details: serial 166 error_code 3 request_code 2 minor_code 0)
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
function.)
Any idea?

regards,
john

Relevant Pages

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... To find out what kernel version you are running, type "uname -a" without ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... >the DISPLAY variable again after su'ing. ... >but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... You mean NFS, not NIS. ... mapping root to something like "nobody" for the NFS access. ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: X11Forwarding, ssh -X, and /bin/su
    ... ]>but I'm not really tunneled using ssh then, ... ]connecting to the X server and have the home directory NFS-mounted ... ](unless you leave root unmapped over NFS, ... ]root-readable place and set the environment $XAUTHORITY variable ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... hack the box, pull the drive and save it. ... Use the newest versions of Gentoo, Apache, SSH, PHP and Squirl Mail. ... been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... I found a hidden directory /var/tmp/.tmp that has a bunch of directories ...
    (Security-Basics)