scaling question

From: Pablo (nospam_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 07/17/05

    Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:03:27 GMT

    Hi,

    Our in-house made PC has TFT panel Sharp LQ150X1LGN2A attached to MoBo via
    LVDS.
    Panel's resolution is 1024x768, video chip - C&T 69000. BIOS video is set to
    1024x768. X server
    is XFree86 3.3.0, XF86Config uses 800x600 modeline (Modeline "800x600" 36
    800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625).
    No window manager, just X server and xv app to display some image. When X
    starts even though
    it's set to 800x600 it displays weave pattern full-screen, 1024x768. If I
    run 'xv 800x600.jpg',
    it also displays 800x600 image full-screen. Also, if I run xv to display
    1024x768 image
    on 800x600 X, it is shown complete, full-screen.

    Now the question... I'm not that familiar with how video works so it might
    sound silly
    but here it goes - what does the scaling? Is it video driver? Some other X
    component,
    BIOS? From X log:
    (--) SVGA: CHIPS: TFT probed.
    (--) SVGA: CHIPS: Display Size: x=1024; y=768

    I assume it is ct69000 video driver somehow queries panel's resolution, gets
    1024x768
    value vs. config's 800x600 and makes chip to scale everythings that X sends
    to it to
    1024x768. Am I correct?

    Thank you,

    Pavel.

    • Re: Averlogic AL250 and scan doubling
      ... Not directly but doing various resolution video deinterlacing to various ... LCD panels. ... Depends on definition of beginner as various things with video are beyond ... As this chip has to use an external video decoder/digitiser, ...
      (comp.arch.embedded)
    • Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
      ... > 3) Your main bottlenecks are video RAM bandwidth to/from the GPU, ... it may be easier for the first rev of your chip to do all ... > I feel my own personal design for video hardware interface is better ... > should be presented to the OS driver. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: How does the apple2 RGB card work?
      ... shift while it translates into R, G, B, and I signals. ... It is why RGB card has to output only C sync because CGA ... You can build an adapter which it has LM1881 chip. ... efforts to guess and build video data in their own. ...
      (comp.sys.apple2)
    • Re: Apple //e Upgrade to 640x192 Resolution?
      ... It is important to stick 14MHz crystal osc chip so 16 periods can be performed each video cycle. ... It is only a way to change the timing equations in the HAL16R8 chip. ... Doing so will cause numerous "ripple" effects to Apple II timing. ...
      (comp.sys.apple2)
    • Apple //e Upgrade to 640x192 Resolution?
      ... Do you have your desire to upgrade from 560x192 resolution to 640x192 ... only a way to modify the timing in HAL16R8 chip and IOU chip. ... cycles (total 65 video cycles) to be sent to the screen each horizontial ...
      (comp.sys.apple2)