SSH Tunneling of X protocol from non-interactive session

From: Dobes Jiri (dobes_at_marian.fsik.cvut.cz)
Date: 10/10/05

Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:58:28 +0200

Hallo,

I need to forward X terminal through the firewall from non-interactive
session.

Situation:
M - my computer
F - firewall
C - cluster with application

M --- F ---- C

The final point is to run a X application on C from a queuing system and
display on M.

First setup simple test. I am sitting at M. I would like to open tunnel
from C to M tunneling X protocol.

M> xhost +
M> ssh -x C
C> ssh -L6001:localhost:6000 M

Now I try to run application on C and forward the X protocol to M. Open
another termimal (still leaving the tunnel opened) and

M> ssh -x C
C> export DISPLAY=C:1
C> xterm

and error message appear:
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: C:1

Does anybody know why? Is there a problem with authorization? On M all
the connections are allowed (it was xhost +).

If this would work I would write a script creating tunnel from C to M
and running the application on C with display C:1 forwarded to M. When
the script is executed terminal would open on my desktop...

Thanks for all the help!!!

                                Jiri

P.S.: I use OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, however I don't think it is important...

Relevant Pages

  • SUMMARY: X11-SSH Tunnelling "Update" Problem with NetBackup
    ... think that the DISPLAY variable indicates that they are running ... Use VNC and tunnel that instead. ... > the window and click, some of the text charaters show up under your clicks. ... > Rather than tunnel the TCP through SSH, ...
    (SunManagers)
  • Re: Reverse Shell?
    ... >> behind a firewall so I can't ssh into their computer. ... > follow the tunnel back to their machine and then help them. ... Connections to that port will be forwarded through the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Reverse SSH Tunnel - an easy way?
    ... You are correct in that I use an RSA Key fob. ... address and that allows me in through our firewall, ... I then run an SSH tunnel within the VPN tunnel that has been ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • RE: Tunneling over ssh with termination by the FW
    ... I would use something like Putty (ssh client software) to open a secure ... tunnel with the firewall. ... If the firewall has the sshd running on port ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: KVM over IP
    ... We actually use it over a VPN, but yes, you can do either: tunnel it ... through ssh, or poke a hole in the firewall for port 5900 (which is the ... standard port for VNC), or port 80 if you access it via HTTP. ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)